PDA

View Full Version : Transfer to the Navy?

Murphy
23rd Jul 2005, 14:18
Just a quick question chaps, but does anyone know the first port of call (No pun intended) I should be looking at, if I was considering a move from the Rotary Pongo world to the RN!

Any serious advice would be well taken, any banter gratefully received!!!

Gainesy
23rd Jul 2005, 15:45
There's always Si Clic (Sp?) on here, seems to be a grown up on RN aircrew recruiting side, try a pm to him?

airborne_artist
23rd Jul 2005, 16:06
cobaltfrog may be able to help - also a current RN (P)

cobaltfrog
23rd Jul 2005, 16:13
Murphy

Cx your PM's

pinger
23rd Jul 2005, 19:15
I transfered from the RN to the RAF in 2001. There is now a formal procedure in place which was listed in a DCI. Firstly the receiving Service have to agree to take you, so I would contact the RN Pilot's appointer as the first point of call for advice and chances of etc. There then comes a point when you have to declare your interest to your employer because all of your reports have to be forwarded for obvious reasons. Here is the gotcha however because the Army (in this case) have to be prepared to let you go. This is to formally transfer. the other option is to get the RN to agree to take you and then PVR. Good luck.

timex
23rd Jul 2005, 19:22
Murphy, just sent you a PM

snafu
23rd Jul 2005, 23:27
Murphy

A couple of your brothers-in-arms have just done the same thing. I'm sure you can find out who they are through the AAC grapevine and give them a call. I would imagine that they should be able to point you in the right direction and make you aware of any gotchas!

Murphy
24th Jul 2005, 19:25
Thanks for those swift replies. Those that PM'ed. Your replies are waiting. Except Cobalt Frog, your Inbox was full!!!

Pontius Navigator
24th Jul 2005, 21:16
<<Here is the gotcha however because the Army (in this case) have to be prepared to let you go.>>

Not sure about this. Someone I know joined the RAF to get a commission as the Army said they needed his skills as an SNCO and not an officer. They then tried to stop the transfer on the grounds of amortisation of training.

They lost the case because AOT only applied if you are leaving HM's service. He wasn't, so the Army cr*pped out.

Essentially if the other service want you then your won service can go whistle.

Yarpy
25th Jul 2005, 05:40
Many Moons ago I tried to transfer to the Royal Navy from the RAF.

The issue of amortisation of training prevented me. Essentially the RN wanted to take me as a trainee helicopter pilot. However, the RAF were very annoyed that I wanted to leave. It was pointed out that, if I was allowed to resign my commission, I would actually be free to leave the service completely and become a civillian and sneak off to the airlines. The was my not my intention, however, I couldn't convince the highly cynical airships of this.

There was a big exodus from the RAF at that time as the airline industry was recruiting

In the end I had to PVR and serve a couple of years in holding posts. Then I became an airline pilot as it was the only way forward.

My point is this. If you are considering a transfer then examine the regulations very carefully and engage brain before mouth. Also look at the political situation and the personalities involved.

Pierre Argh
29th Jul 2005, 16:00
Pontius

if the other service want you

... or maybe if your current service is only too happy to get rid of you?