PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes Airport wind limits?

Jetset320
23rd Jul 2005, 09:36
Due to the adjacent terrain, I believe some companies have a maximum wind limit (~15kts?) at Rhodes, when prevailing wind is coming off the hills, due to turbulence and windshear .

Today's TAF is for 250/20 and our Route Manual only warns of the turbulence and doesnt give a specific limit. Since I've never been there before I'm wondering if there is any cause for concern.

greenjack
23rd Jul 2005, 12:07
250/20 shouldn't be a problem as it's straight down the runway. When it blows from 090-180 it gets interesting as it comes over the hills to the south of the runway and can get very turbulent.

Jetset320
23rd Jul 2005, 14:01
Thanks Greenjack. I've since found this, and as you say, the concern is mainly for south/southeasterlies:

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS

The outcrop of high ground immediately to the S of the Runway causes difficult local wind effects. Winds from the S and SE of 10-15kts cause WINDSHEAR and turbulence. Winds from the S and SE of more than 15kts cause: wind direction and speed to vary along the Runway at a given time (horizontal windshear), wind direction and speed to continuously change at a given point on the Runway (turbulent windshear). Severe turbulence in the final approach, take off and initial climb areas Report windshear and turbulence to ATC.

aeftutor
24th Jul 2005, 14:35
Are airfield charts available online for Rhodes?