PDA

View Full Version : Advice

airlinehopper
24th Dec 1999, 02:31
Hello Everyone!
I work for a well known airline but I need some advice.
Can anyone tell me how to become an Engineer!
Is it expensive and would I have to leave work? I am 26 years old so an apprentiship would be out the window.
I would very much appreciate anyones help or advice.

------------------

Genghis the Engineer
24th Dec 1999, 02:50
I think you need to define (a) what you are doing at the moment, (b) what flavour of Engineer you'd like to be.

All things are possible, they just may take a lot of dedication (it takes a lot of that at any start point).

Pikvanman
25th Dec 1999, 00:45
check out R.A.E.S. at the site www.raes.org.uk.They (http://www.raes.org.uk.They) are offering training at Bristol college.

JET SET SPARKY
25th Dec 1999, 01:51
...there are many part time college courses available for aeronautical engineering,BUT,beware of taking the wrong route....i recently met a guy who had been guided into long courses that wouldn't even have qualified him to open an envelope!
Be sure of the trade discipline you wish to follow,check any relevant qualifications you may already hold,check all RELEVANT courses available,approach your company with a view to sponsorship (it ain't cheap)and apply yourself 100%..if this is what you want.
good luck!

airlinehopper
25th Dec 1999, 02:37
Thanks for your help guys. I think I will approach the airline I work for and see what they can do for me.
Wishing you all the very best for Christmas and the New Year.

------------------

Pikvanman
27th Dec 1999, 21:25
Why would you want to be one of the least rgarded guys/gals of the airlines?Do you ever see an engineer on any of these airline/airport progs on t.v.?
We don,t exist to the rest of them only as some sub species to be summoned at the last possible moment so that the delay code for engineering can be used!
Although we do have our handsome superstars like spannersatcx!

greycone
27th Dec 1999, 23:21
PIKVANMAN,I thought I was the only one that felt like that!

The hippy
27th Dec 1999, 23:45
thats three of us with the same thoughts

gas path
28th Dec 1999, 01:06
.....make that four !!
...but I don't know about the 'handsome guy' bit though!! :) :)
---------------------------------
If in doubt read the manual!!

Flying Banana
1st Jan 2000, 21:52
Make it five but I left and get to play with expensive racing cars now - at least the drivers acknowledge you exist :)

greaseytech
2nd Jan 2000, 00:29
You would be supprised at just how many engineers feel the same way. We are under valued and even a director once described engineers and the engineering function as a 'Necessary evil'. He was of cause meaning this in a financial sence. So if you want to be over worked, underpaid and not appreciated, then by all means join us.