PDA

View Full Version : MEA recruiting Cadets

CedarJet
22nd Jul 2005, 15:42
MEA-Middle East Airlines is recruiting Cadets for training in Jerez-Spain. Check out full details at

http://www.mea.com.lb/MEA/English/Misc/CadetPilotTrngProgJuly05.htm and http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com

RomeoMikeAlpha
23rd Jul 2005, 06:34
My sister in law in Beirut just emailed me the link last week.

Anyone going for it or has more details about it, please post.

I'm in a tough position. I meet the requirments for entry but just barely as I'm 29. I'd love to move back to Lebanon but working for NavCanada in air traffic services has been great and the whole expense of the cadetship (90000 euros) with no guarantees is giving me pause.

I'd love to get back into flying and this seems like a great opportunity for lebanese guys to get on with a major.

oxide
24th Jul 2005, 00:01
Are you guys Lebanese though? :E

RomeoMikeAlpha
24th Jul 2005, 03:10
I was born in Beirut but I don't live there now. In fact I haven't lived there for fifteen years, however I am a citizen.

Left Wing
24th Jul 2005, 03:55
What kind of cadet program is this where the "cadet" has to pay for the training.

The term cadet would mean training taken care by the airline.:confused:

RomeoMikeAlpha
24th Jul 2005, 06:39
It actually sounds worse than it really is. But its true, the days of a true cadetship program are long gone anyway, imo.

The ab-intio part is paid by the student however the airline can loan the money and recover it with 6% interest. The 6% interest is the part I have an issue with myself. I think it should have at least been interest free.

The cost of the type rating is covered by the airline as long as the pilot fulfills their 12 year contract.

Ideally, the whole cost of training should have been treated as they treat the type rating. In other words, it should all be a dept to the pilot but as soon as the 12 year contract is fulfilled, it would all be waived.

ODGUY
24th Jul 2005, 12:29
Ab-initio training should be covered by the cadet or treated as a loan that must be repaid. The type rating however should definetly be covered by the company as long as the pilot puts in the 12 years. You can't waive off the ab-initio after 12 years, because then, the company doesn't take the licence back, it's his/her (his in this case, but thats another topic) for life. It's hard enough to find a company who pays for your rating, you want some to pay for your whole training? why don't we get them to pay for our university degree as well.

housewife
25th Jul 2005, 09:28
why only male?????????

Glorified Donkey
25th Jul 2005, 15:46
Because some countries have not yet joined the rest of civilization

Smurfjet
25th Jul 2005, 20:37
Out of curiosity, what is it like living in lebanon and working for MEA with a US$180,000 debt? Any CedarJet pilots can shed some light on this?

FYI Donkey, MEA has a female pilot circa 1993...

Glorified Donkey
25th Jul 2005, 22:00
Wow thats a shocker, only one?!?

CedarJet
26th Jul 2005, 11:57
95% of MEA Pilots were Cadets.
The Debt is irrelevant if you plan on Flying for MEA as a carreer.
They will deduct the debt from your salary, leaving enough to sustain a good standard of living.
Considering MEA Pilot's average age is 31, this new Cadet class might have a good chance for a qwick command.
If you all see the big picture....... then there is only one decision to take!

ODGUY
27th Jul 2005, 15:08
If the average age of the MEA pilot is 31, how would a young pilot that's joining MEA now move quickly to command? If the current pilots are young, doesn't that mean they will be there for a long time before they retire?

A380_xyz
7th Aug 2005, 16:08
Does this count include the Direct F/O batch currently on Line Training?

CedarJet
10th Aug 2005, 08:10
It was a typing mistake.:ooh:
The average age of an MEA Pilot is 51 years. This number includes the 9 pilots hired in 1993 but not the latest bunch(11) who have joined.

Flagada
20th Aug 2005, 15:48
Olbie, I agree with you 100%. As a bystander who has nothing to gain or lose from MEAs hiring policies, I feel it's a real shame that MEA has come down to this.

They're basically screwing hundreds of pilots who have waited and waited to get on. Good going MEA, nice move to acquire the Lebanese Rep.

The least they could do after billing you +150K is to give you a decent salary...

The saga continues (Magnum P.I. Theme song in the background!)

A380_xyz
25th Sep 2005, 17:02
Does anyone know how many candidates finally were invited to attend the initial selection as advertised on the MEA website?

How many is MEA planning to recruit?

:confused:

MEA321
25th Sep 2005, 18:22
Hello Gentlemen,

The initial academic exams were held at American University of Beirut about a week ago. There were in attendance about 130 applicants.

MEA will proceed with the next portion of the hiring process which includes an initial medical examination and pilot aptitude testing around 10 October.

In the end they want to hire about 30 pilots. But the number keeps going up and down. I have heard as much as 35, and as few as 25. However that gives everyone an idea of how many at least.

A380_xyz
29th Sep 2005, 06:52
That' s a good intake percentage - roughly 25% of applicants should be picked.

Is MEA then to send invitation around the 10th of October to the successful candidates?

On another note, I heard that the pool of candidates was diverse as much in age as in experience. Can you confirm this rumour?

If such is truw, do we know if this will/can play in MEA's hiring decision?

Thanks MEA321.

MEA321
29th Sep 2005, 12:25
All successful candidates will be notified through an email from the operations administration if they have passed their academic exams. The email will most likely come out to those candidates earlier than 10 October, maybe as late as 5 October.

The diversity of the candidates might play a role later on in decision making. The flight ops department needs pilots very badly and could be rushed to take applicants who can finish their required training and start ASAP (i.e. candidates with prior flight experience). This can not be confirmed though.

As pertaining to age and other forms of diversity, it will not be a major factor for the hiring decision. Successful candidates are guaged on their performance vide the required examinations and interview.

alfredo sauce
14th Oct 2005, 23:11
Hi everyone!

MEA321 thankyou for sharing your knowledge with us and please keep us informed. I met all the requirements for the program, except for the age, the minimum age was 20 and I'm 19. But I’m hoping that in the near future they will have another cadet scheme. I even emailed the MEAcadet address and asked them if there will be one next year, they told me that it is a possibility but that they can't make any guarantees at the moment. I’m staying optimistic and keeping my fingers crossed.

Just thought I’d share my story with everyone.

btw I copy and pasted the email MEA sent below:

Dear Mr. Gebara,

Although it is a possibility, we cannot confirm at the moment that we
will have the same program next year.

I encourage you to apply anyway on our website www.mea.com.lb under
careers and we will have your record in our database.

This will not be enough if you need to apply in the future, you should
follow up our advertisements or our website.

Thank you for your interest in Middle East Airlines.

Email : [email protected]
Web : www.mea.com.lb

coolguy
15th Oct 2005, 11:07
What about a CPL/MEIR ( 300 + Hrs )holder from an ICAO country , but not a Lebanese Citizen , Do they have a chance if they sign a training bond for the Type rating to join as a Cadet Pilot ?

Coolguy

MEA321
17th Oct 2005, 12:56
Coolguy,

Im sorry you are out of luck with Middle East Airlines as they only hire Lebanese nationals for the position of flight crew.

Mr. Gebara,

Next year it looks like you will have a chance to apply to the cadet program, although I can not assure you that it will be similar to the program of this year. There will be a shortage of pilots at MEA in the coming years, and so I will not be surprised if the administration decides to do two or three more rounds of cadet recruitment.

For those who wanted to know the update about this years recruitment, here are the numbers.

Over 1200 applications for recruitment were recieved.
About 700 were accepted for academic achievement testing.
Only 160 present at academic achievement testing.
58 passed and went on to initial medical and job suitability.
Only 13 remain for the job interview and full medical screening.

Anyone who has any other questions can feel free to PM me.

Have a good day everyone.

concordino
17th Oct 2005, 20:49
Hello MEA321,

Check your PM.

Cheers:)

alfredo sauce
19th Oct 2005, 21:03
I cannot thankyou enough MEA321:ok: