PDA

View Full Version : Security & Spotting in the UK

Avman
22nd Jul 2005, 14:01
Have the recent events in London brought all the jobsworths out of hibernation and rendered life difficult for spotters at UK airports, or is it life as normal?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Jul 2005, 10:26
One of the problems with spotting is being able to look the part. If one looks like a total nurd and behaves similarly then one will be viewed with suspicion. Recently my wife and I visited a busy private airfield and had total access to all areas - and we received friendly greetings from everyone we met. Maybe it's because we're "oldies", but it may also have been the way we conducted ourselves?

Don't do anything to arouse suspicion and do obey all signs and warnings.. Also, don't hesitate to talk to people. If they find that you are genuinely interested you'll almost certain receive a welcome. It might help to be a woman.... several years ago my wife and I visited White Waltham and were peering through the gloom into a hangar at something (there was a no entry type sign nearby). A friendly pilot appeared, took Ruth by the hand and led her round the hangar whilst she scribbled down everything in sight. He probably thought we were nutcases, but he was polite enough not to say so!

Avman
23rd Jul 2005, 12:32
A friendly pilot appeared, took Ruth by the hand and led her round the hangar

I'd keep a wary eye on that wife of yours HR ;)

Ranger 1
23rd Jul 2005, 12:54
I hope the "Jobsworths" use their heads as they did after 911 at a number of UK airports & made an effort to get to know the Regular Reggies at their airfields, & in some cases issue them with a card, with contact numbers on, to report anything out of the ordinary:ok: I certainly make an effort to get to know them.
All it costs us who work airside in return is the odd bit of info on something interesting arriving or the odd Reg of an aircraft which is out of site somewhere ;)

MerchantVenturer
23rd Jul 2005, 17:47
Ranger

You will know better than me I am sure that there is always a community 'spot in' on the lane to the south of the western end of the field at BRS, often replete with ice cream van.

I only go there occasionally but am always amazed at the cross section of the local (and more distant) populace that turns up: from regular and serious spotters to family groups, elderly couples who just "like to watch the 'planes" and lorry/van drivers taking their lunch.

I have noticed a friendly wave on occasions from airport safety units (doubtless including yourself) and the like patrolling inside the boundary and, as you say, it costs nothing and is invariably appreciated by the spectators. The same applies when flight crews give a wave when taxiing adjacent to the lane by the golf course.

After September 2001 the police patrols were obviously stepped up and they did seem to be trying to get to know the regulars. I had my particulars taken once and it wasn't even painful.:eek: