View Full Version : Taxying a Tiger Moth in strongish winds

Centaurus
22nd Jul 2005, 11:06
I recently found a well thumbed edition of the RAF book on Elementary Flying Training -1943- Air Publication 1979A.

The chapter on taxying states: "when the wind is fairly strong and the aircraft is taxying down-wind, move the stick to the left for a left turn and if taxying into wind move the stick to the right for a left turn."

It assumes rudder is also used (I think). Why the difference in stick movement depending on wind direction? And what controls should be used if taxying a Moth in a quartering tailwind or quartering headwind? And why? One presumes that a test pilot recommended this advice when the Tiger Moth was first flown?

John Farley
22nd Jul 2005, 18:45
Perhaps because the briefed actions will tend to hold the into wind wing down...

G-KEST
24th Jul 2005, 20:45
It is due to the really gross amount of differential aileron deflection that DeHavilland used to counteract aileron drag though it really did not work too effectively. By all means have a look next time you are near a Tiger Moth but do ask the owner or engineer first please. One of the more crude design solutions for adverse yaw due to rolling; though popular in the 1920's.

While taxying downwind and a turn needed then applying left aileron would cause the left aileron to go up considerably wheras the right aileron would barely be deflected from neutral. More wind pushing on the rear of the left aileron would assist with a right turn requirement and vice versa.

Taxying into wind and using left aileron would result in a turning moment to the left, again due to extra drag from the raised aileron.

Frankly, the question is somewhat irrelevant these days since any pilot of any biplane (bar an AN2) in his right mind would use a wing tip handler to assist with turning on the ground in anything but a light wind.

Cheers,

Trapper 69
:8 :8 :8 :ooh: :ooh: :ooh: :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

BOAC
27th Jul 2005, 17:05
I reckon JF is closer, G-Kest! I make your theory 180 out from the TP's notes?

Not forgetting stick forward in tailwinds and back in head, of course.

PS Can I have a go in a Tiger again to check?:D

orionsbelt
4th Aug 2005, 22:42
Suggest you have a chat with Bill Ison, CFI of the Cambridge flying group. Details shown below Bill has been flying the Aircraft for over 60 years. They still operate 2 Aircraft , G-AHIZ and G-AOEI
and you can obtain a trial lesson if you wish. (And if you fly with Bill ask Him to show you a slow roll )

Cambridge Flying Group,
(Bill Ison or Terry Kirkham),
The Airport, Newmarket Road,
Cambridge, CB5 8RX,
England
Tel: +44 1223 293 343 or +44 1763 229 004 (Terry Kirkham)
(Flying school and Club famous for still using Tiger Moths for primary training. Tail wheel conversions available)

Cheers Orions***