PDA

View Full Version : BA conversion course for A320

BeemerBoy
21st Jul 2005, 20:36
Christmas has arrived early for me!! I am commencing conversion training on the A320 for BA soon and have a few questions. Any help/guidance/suggestions appreciated;

1. I live about 75 minutes from LHR (on a clearish run) and have arranged more local accommodation for the first 3 weeks to cover to end of groundschool - any views as to whether it makes sense to stay local for the sim training part?

2. When can I expect to receive a roster for the simulator, base and line training?

3. What sort of roster could I expect for line training? How many sectors approximately and how long should/could it take?

4. Any suggestions on any preparation I can do prior to the groundschool that may be useful?

5. Totally unrelated to training, but is there any chance of BA honouring current holiday plans?

6. Again totally unrelated to training, but as a current member of BUPA, what's the BA Private Medical Scheme like and how does it compare to BUPA?

I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat at getting through selection. I know "the grass isn't always greener" but this is a massive step up for me and I am really looking forward to starting.

Look forward to receiving some help with these questions.

Ta

Hand Solo
21st Jul 2005, 21:26
1) 75 minutes is reasonably close for the simulator phase but it depends on how reliable the traffic is. Staying closer may help you when you have a block of four sim days but you need to weigh that up against the distraction of living in a B&B and having to find somewhere to eat each evening. The sims also have the habit of creeping forward each day which cuts down on your preparation time between details. I would suggest having a fall back option of a B&B when the sims are creeping forward but going home when you have a decent break.

2) Can't really help with that too much. However I doubt you will be doing base training if you have previous flying experience. Line training rosters are a bit flexible anyway as training admin will inevitably roster you sims and flights right up to the legal limit in order to save cash and the whole plan will fall apart the moment you need an extra sim or the sim breaks down, incurring vast expense for the company. Save a penny, waste a pound. That said, don't feel intimidated about asking for an extra sim or being required to take one. It really is completely non-jeopardy within BA. They'd rather you get it right in the sim than have to come back off the line.

3) Again not really sure. If you work on about 20 sectors then you will easily achieve that within two weeks.

4) Read the tech manuals and flying manual thoroughly. A good grasp of ECAM discipline will help you through the more complex stages of the sim training. Being word perfect on standard calls will also help; it's not so vital on the line but the trainers will expect you to demonstrate it in the sim.

5) Depends when they are. You can always ask but if you happen to have holidays booked in a popular period then you might be dissappointed.

6)For an individual the scheme is OK but subject to a £100 excess in every financial year. Can't comment on the coverage for spouses/dependents except to say we don't get free coverage for them like the management do.

beaver eager
21st Jul 2005, 21:37
Er... I thought we were 'managers on the day' HS?

Oh, silly me... I just remembered - It's only when it suits THEM, isn't it?

To be fair though, the annual staff travel 'managment concession' is nice when you can make it work. I do, of course, always check that the bottle of champage has already been opened for a commercial passenger before accepting another glass!

BeemerBoy, I'm Gatwick based so they paid for my B&B during groundschool/sim 'coz I wasn't based at LHR but I would sincerely advocate staying local for the sim phase too.

As for the sim roster, I seem to remember that appearing halfway through the groundschool.

HS's advice is about right on the other stuff. Health care is OK but it's irritating having an annual excess when you are using the scheme for a single illness which covers two scheme years (changes in April) because you pay two excesses for a single claim. Excess is £100 for you and £150 for spouse. I pay £51 per month for spouse cover, but the cover's pretty good and I haven't had any problems yet when I've needed it.

Welcome... And good luck with the course.

Jetstream Rider
21st Jul 2005, 21:54
My advice is to stay near during the sim phase too. I went through in the 757 a couple of years ago and was staying very close. On the days when the next days sim slot is the one earlier, you only get a few hours to prepare for the next day, eat, sleep and relax. I wouldn't want to fill that with 2.5 hours driving.

Flying Dispatcher
22nd Jul 2005, 21:39
stay close for the first few weeks.

Sim roster will be given to you on the first day.....

just going through the whole process myself and I can say that you will enjoy it!!