PDA

View Full Version : Air Gisborne and Seneca IIs

Avpro
21st Jul 2005, 18:45
Can anyone supply me with an email address for Air Gisborne or anyone that has a Seneca II in NZ please?

Yeah I know I should just pick up a phone book, but I'm not in NZ and have limited coms.

Thanks.

LocoDriver
21st Jul 2005, 22:27
Dont think they have an internet address.
but Phone number is;
06 867 4684

John and Margaret Reid have owned Air Gisborne for over 30 years, great couple, great instructor.
(Yes, I flew with John many years ago)

Hope this helps

:ok:

NZDP
21st Jul 2005, 23:20
What for ? training or private hire ? There are a few around the south island. Off the top of my head,- canterbury aero club (ZK-DCO www.cac.co.nz) nelson aviation college (ZK-JDH www.nelson-aviation.co.nz), Air west coast (ZK-KAE www.airwestcoast.co.nz), Flight corperation (ZK-TSD www.flightcorp.co.nz)

ZK-DAN
22nd Jul 2005, 00:11
I know of a cheap (ish) Seneca 1 for hire based in PP.

flyby_kiwi
22nd Jul 2005, 02:02
Why is it that your after a II series?

Mainland in Dunedin have a couple, not sure if they are II's tho
www.mainlandair.com

Air Discovery in Rotorua have a II series
www.airdiscovery.com

Bayflight in Tauranga have a I series
www.bayflight.co.nz

Air Hawkes Bay have a few, again not sure if they are II's tho
www.airacademy.hs.co.nz

Avpro
22nd Jul 2005, 05:04
Thanks for your replies. Need to do some conversion training later this year on a Seneca.

But in the meantime I just want to know if anyone uses a fuel dipstick for a Seneca? We have recently acquired a Seneca II. It does not have a dipstick and the owner tells me that he never had one. I realise that it would only have limited use anyway, as the II has only one large tank in each wing and due to the dihedral the tanks slope down towards the wing roots. So a dipstick would show nothing unless the tanks are quite full. Nevertheless I think it would be useful to be able to have some ability to measure the fuel by dipping when the tanks are near-full.

So in short I'm trying to find someone with a Seneca II (or other Seneca if it has the same tanks) with a dipstick that I could get measurements for.

Of course I could run the tanks dry, add fuel in portions and then calibrate my own dipstick, but I thought I would first make some inquries.

Cheers.

NZDP
22nd Jul 2005, 08:31
I know of a cheap (ish) Seneca 1 for hire based in PP.

Nelson aviation college are now using it out of nelson. That was the story a week ago when I was there...

Sqwark2000
22nd Jul 2005, 10:10
I flew 2 Seneca II's for Air Napier (which they still have, except one is in longish term maintenance due recent gear extension problems), and they both had dipsticks.

With the fuel sloshing over the bottom of the tank directly beneath the filler you would have 180L in that tank. NB: 180L is based on having the optional bladder tank installed in each wing.

Air Hawkes Bay Senecas are 1's & a 3.

Cheers

S2K

mattyj
22nd Jul 2005, 19:58
you're a brave man if your just going to copy someone elses dipstick and use it for a different plane..I'd make my own..all you need is a lump of wood and a pen..fill it in 50L increments till 100..then 20 after that..do lines one side for left tank..other side for right..its safer..you can easily get different dipsticks for 2 different a/c of the same type. (or even different wings)

What time is ECT?
22nd Jul 2005, 21:24
Isn't a dipstick the error-prone thing that holds the throttle?

Maybe it's the minature truncheon that the instructor uses when you have BOTH hands on the control column!

(I have also seen it used for fuel measurement)

ECT

Don Won
23rd Jul 2005, 00:08
I can confirm, air napier always has a Dipstick in their seneca's :}
.....well I thought it was funny

flying ginge
23rd Jul 2005, 01:37
Drain your tanks and calibrate your own. Surely just for peace of mind? The one I used was calibrated to show 4 hours fuel(360L) as that was about all we needed and for ZFW considerations. ZKTSD is a weapon (it's a II).

flyby_kiwi
23rd Jul 2005, 10:44
Avpro - the dipstick works fine despite the dihedral, Only thing is that anything less than about a 3rd full wont show up. Its been a while but i found that in a PA34 you would get 3hrs (i think???) if u could see fuel in the tank under the cap. This gave a fairly descent usefull load.