PDA

View Full Version : Monarch 547.....

a_320busdriver
21st Jul 2005, 17:31
Anyone know what happened to the Monarch flight 547 fromMadrid to Manchester on the 18th of July? It seems that soon after take off there were loud noises in the cabin and an engine was shutdown. They returned to Madrid.....

crewrest
21st Jul 2005, 18:11
Well, I suspect there was a problem with the engine after take-off that possibly caused noises in the cabin that necessitated an engine shut down and a return to Madrid. :ok:

a_320busdriver
21st Jul 2005, 18:44
thanks crewrest...... i would never have figured that out! was wondering if anyone knew more obviously - the actual problem etc.

Harry Erman
21st Jul 2005, 19:09
I suspect one would need to wait a while for the engineers to strip the FCU, to find out why the engine surged, that caused the noise in the cabin, that led to the engine shutdown, that caused the return to Madrid...

Flightmech
21st Jul 2005, 19:19
I heard that due to strange noises from one of the engines, that could be heard from within the fuselage, a decision was made to place the affected fuel lever/switch to the off position and return to the point of departure:ok:

catchup
21st Jul 2005, 19:23
To my knowledge, yes it happened.

But on the 18th of July 1989 and nobody really remembers .....

catchup

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Jul 2005, 19:52
I think you will find, false indication of high oil temp.

BYMONEK
21st Jul 2005, 20:01
Mmmmmm...........Perhaps a bit more 'DODAR' was in order if true. Still, all's well that ends well!

Mr @ Spotty M
21st Jul 2005, 21:14
Maybe the strange noise in the Cabin was that it went a little quiet.
This does happen if you turn off one of the noise generators.

Mr A Tis
21st Jul 2005, 21:43
Maybe the strange noise in the Cabin was that it went a little quiet

Unlikely in a Monarch aircraft ! with the constant PAs selling Tea, Twix, Teddys & of course don't forget your scratch cards.

masalaairlines
22nd Jul 2005, 16:10
I was a pax on the flight.Wasn't really loud noises as such.. just lots of electric motor noise as captain was preparing to do a single engine landing.(Presumably flaps,gear etc.)However, this did go on for a lot longer than normal, and was rather unsettling.

On another note. Jetmender mentioned the A/C departed a few hours later? If so why was I (and 5 others) left stranded in MAD, whilst the rest where placed on a rediverted A/C from ALC. The whole business was atrociously handled by Monarch. For 2 hours not a single announcement was made to pax, and then no call for volunteers for deplanement was made. No refreshment vouchers were issued, (or communication benefits) and even hotel was a struggle to obtain. Again, inspite of arriving in MAN 24 hrs late no Monarch staff were available to dicuss compensation procedures.

All the above were direct contraventions of new EC law. Check (EC)No 261/2004

tangocharlie
22nd Jul 2005, 19:26
The EU law applies to when the Airline is responsible - technical problems - unfortunately the airlines are not responsible if an aircraft is tech. In the past, airlines have given LRV's as a good will gesture when there is a tech delay. Read the small print... nor if 'extraordinary circumstances' cause the problem.

In circumstances ....pointless ruling??

masalaairlines
23rd Jul 2005, 13:15
Thanks TC. Do you know whether the airline still has the obligation to call for volunteers first?? (even in exceptional circumstances).
Seems like an unfair ruling.

kaikohe76
23rd Jul 2005, 14:10
`MASALAAIRLINES`

I can not make any comment as to your particular situation at Madrid & to the treatment or lack of, that you received. The reason for this is, that I was not there & you were.

However, if you feel that you have have a genuine grevience, have you written directly to the head office of the airline concerned & asked for an explanation?

While I accept that, you were put almost certainly to considerable inconvenience. I would suggest, that a simple letter direct to `Luton Airport`asking for a full explanation, would be a better method of seeking redress that you may well be entitled to.

Mr @ Spotty M
23rd Jul 2005, 15:47
masalaairlines
I can guess that they did not want to chance carrying passengers on the aircraft, in case the defect recurred and you all would all complain that your lives we put a risk etc.
This is a problem now as people and the media tend to hype up everthing as shown in the first post.
I would however please ask you to contact Monarch, as they will try to ensure the problem with the ground handling company, in lack of communication to the passengers, does not happen again.
If you wish to make a complaint please put it in writing and send to the following address:
Customer Relations Department. Monarch Airlines, Prospect House, Prospect Way, London Luton Airport, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 9NU, ENGLAND.

masalaairlines
23rd Jul 2005, 20:54
Thanks Mr@Spotty M and kaikohe. I understand why the a/c returned empty.I did spend some time to write a detailed report to Monarch, and have asked for an explanation.Some shambolic stuff happened on the ground.Managed to scratch out nearly 10 pages of a detailed report from my perspective....no reply yet. Probably 'death by information' ;)

There were some other aspects not covered in my earlier posting, which you may be interested in:

Though no announcement was made by gatestaff, I had personal assurances that there was enough space for all.I even knew of some pax who would have voluntarily changed their bookings, but this seemed unneccessary as we had assurances.When the replacement a/c from ALI arrived,6 names (inc.mine)were called.I then approached gatestaff and mentioned my desparate need to get to MAN. (very important meeting the following morning).I was then told there was confusion and then twice personally assured I could board!

However on arriving at the a/c there were just 2 seats short. I requested the pursor to check with Captn for crew jumps. Captn came on PA saying 2 pax were now refusing to get off (though completely untrue) and were hence holding up everyone! In addition they had requested jumps which "in the light of very recent events would obviously not be possible". I did then speak to him, and also learned there were some PAD's and training cabin crew on flight.He mentioned the PAD's were on 'compassionate reasons' and he would have to place their greivances over ours.Realising that there was nothing that was going to change in a hurry, I respected his 'final word'authority and deplaned along with my partner.He did tell me, something had gone very wrong and if he were in my shoes he would be"livid"with the way ground staff had handled the situation.

Fair mention... but unfortunately his (slightly untactful) PA announcement resulted in some profane humiliating remarks from some pax.To cut a long story short, more embarrasment followed as the police had been called out to the aircraft.(why?)How gate staff allowed too many pax to board in the 1st place remains a mystery to me. Had to then wait almost 2 hours for our luggage to be returned!

Overall not too unhappy with Monarch (after all it was technical), and they did sort it out for most of the pax.However I have a lot less to say about ground staff in MAD.No announcements, and on what basis they chose people to deplane remains a mystery.

Anyhow... hope I haven't bored you all yet. Does anyone know the exact status of PAD's and Training Cabin Crew? Surely a full fare paying passenger as myself has some priority??

Mr A Tis
23rd Jul 2005, 22:52
Sorry spotty M, but you do not understand the current Monarch scheduled operation !
We were called as "final call" to the gate at Manchester for a flight to Barcelona, then held sat on the floor ( no seats) for over 2 hours without any info.
Feedback given via their thier web site produced an auto acknowledgement, nothing else. Writing to the head office in Luton did not even produce that response.
I'm afraid that Monarch Scheduled have not trained their ground or air staff that these flights are not a "like it or lump it" charter service. Some flights have been priced over £175 + tax one way & they are treating passengers very poorly.
Skytrax pax feedback rate Monarch vastly inferior to say Jet2.com, who operate older aircraft with no in flight entertainment. However, Jet 2 do offer good reliability, friendly staff & more often than not cheaper fares where they compete.Better seat pitch too !!

kaikohe76
24th Jul 2005, 09:45
`MASALAAIRLINES`
Thanks again for your post of 23 Jul & giving further information as to you situation & treatment at MAD.
I know myself that, Airline control of, often `sub contacrted out` ground handling staff at outstations, is not easy & can often led to a substandard service to the pax. This is not an excuse of course for less than ideal service, but unfortunately it can & does happen.
As I mentioned earlier, a written report detailing your complaints direct to the Airline concerned & asking for a comprehensive response, is the best action you can take. I am pleased that you have in fact done this & if the reply is not to your satisfaction, a further letter to the man at the top (MD) may be a further option
for you.

`Mr A TIS`
Re the final paragraph of your post of 23rd.

Have you written directly to the MD of the airline concerned & enclosed this paragraph in your letter. Feedback pos or neg is always helpful, but I am sorry to read your comments, ( which may or may be not the case) re this particular airline.

Mr A Tis
24th Jul 2005, 10:37
Yup wrote direct to the MD of said airline three weeks ago, no reply, not even an acknowledgement. In my book, that speaks volumes on how the airline views its customers.

kaikohe76
24th Jul 2005, 17:40
`Mr A TIS`

Thanks for your reply. I can only say, that I am very sorry indeed that you appear to have been treated in this fashion. I would also say, that based on my own experience, I am rather suprised, but I appreciate that this maybe of little comfort to yourself.
Could I make one final suggestion. You write a further personal letter to the Airline MD by name, enclose your original letter, ask why you have not had an acknowledgement & send this by recorded delivery.
Apart from this there is little I can suggest I'm afraid.
Best of luck.

unwiseowl
24th Jul 2005, 18:03
He's the director responsible for sceduled services.