PDA

View Full Version : Spyware removal aid question

Hoover Pilot
21st Jul 2005, 17:12
I was very happy to date using NAV2005 backed up by adaware and spybot that my system was good.

However, recently a mate had a problem and found a program called spywarenuker which sorted him out. Had to pay for it - but well worth the cash.

I just downloaded it as a trial and it found a load of stuff - BUT when I ran spybot for a comparison - it came up with spywarenuker as a big threat in itself and wanted to delete it.

Now I am really confused - is this spywarenuker a potential threat - if it is I don't want it.

HELP (and confused)

HP

Phoenix09
21st Jul 2005, 17:19
Symantec obviously consider this to be an adware programme. This taken from the Symantec website.

Adware.SpywareNuker is an adware program that downloads advertisements from a server and displays them on the system. It has the ability track your Web browsing habits, and to download new versions of the software with additional functionality without user notification.

Many interesting articles via Google as to whether this is spyware/adware or not among them this (http://netrn.net/spywareblog/archives/2004/07/08/spywarenuker-trekblue-legitimate-or-rogues/) one.

The plot thickens...

This is taken from the McAfee website...

McAfee, Inc. wishes to correct its previous classification of TrekEight, LLC's "SpyWare Nuker" program as adware. The results of an internal investigation by McAfee indicate that prior versions of McAfee's anti-virus and computer security software products inadvertently identified "SpyWare Nuker" as adware, and a "potentially unwanted application." In fact, tests confirm "SpyWare Nuker" does not function as adware, or evidence any virus or Trojan horse behavior.

TR4A
21st Jul 2005, 17:25
Here is what SpyBot thinks of it:Trek Blue SpywareNuker
SpywareNuker is a copyright infringement, using a stolen copy of the Spybot-S&D database.
Please do NOT use SpywareNuker!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/compatibility/spywarenuker.html