PDA

View Full Version : A Drive Problem?

dwlpl
21st Jul 2005, 16:13
I am trying to access a floppy disk in my A Drive.

A message comes up saying 'The disk in Drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format it now? Yes/No.

The disk is one I used only yesterday and if a I right click the drive through My Computer and go to properties it reckons the drive is working properly.

Any suggestions how to access the disk or how to get round the problem?

Coconutty
21st Jul 2005, 17:31
dwlpl,

This is not at all an uncommom problem - it usually means the floppy disc is (s)crap :sad:

You can try the following, just in case, with fingers crossed ...

Try the floppy disc in another computer - some drives do seem better at coping with floppy discs than others - if it works then copy everything to the hard drive before you lose the data for good ! :\

If the disc won't work in any computer then you can try running scan disk on it, probably as a last resort -

Right click the "A:" drive then select "Properties" / "Tools" and click "Check Now"

Whether you get it working or not have a think about alternatives to floppy discs as storage media - USB "pen" drives are cheap and fairly reliable, CD writers, even an extra hard disc, but if you keep using floppies you're bound run into this kind of problem eventually :*

Good Luck

:ok: