PDA

View Full Version : Display settings offers me the choice of 2 monitors

whiz
20th Jul 2005, 18:47
Hi All

I recently installed a GE Force FX5200 graphics card on my sons PC. He is running XP Home Sp2 Since installation when I select control panel/display/settings I am given the option to select a second monitor. Is this normal ? The only monitor attached to the PC is connected to the new graphics card so I have no idea why the system would think there are now 2 monitors attached. The system is operating fine, but is there a way I can get rid of this option for the second monitor and get the 'settings' tab back to how it used to look ?
Thanks in advance.

Conan the Librarian
20th Jul 2005, 19:03
Sounds like you have a "Dual Header" A lot of vid cards (nearly all nowadays) have the facility for a second monitor/line out to TV etc. It can be quite useful too. I can only speak for myself, but I would just leave things as they are and if you ever need to hook up a second screen so that you can monitor TWO Pprune forums at once, then you now know how to do it.

Cheers,

Conan

innuendo
21st Jul 2005, 16:47
Some graphics and Photoshop types like to work on the image on one monitor while their tool pallettes are on the other. Pretty nice if you can manage it.

Saab Dastard
21st Jul 2005, 20:58
Whiz,

The front of the card shows a DVI port as well as TV out - in addition to a standard VGA interface. The adapter noted as included allows you to utilize the nView multi-monitor support that coordinates the use of two displays for one machine. Nice.

whiz
22nd Jul 2005, 12:10
The front of the card shows a DVI port as well as TV out - in addition to a standard VGA interface. The adapter noted as included allows you to utilize the nView multi-monitor support that coordinates the use of two displays for one machine. Nice.

Ah well thats what happens when you dont know what you're buying :O I thought I was buying a common or garden graphics card so he could play 'Far Cry' without the grass being white due to the on-board graphics being cr*p.

Thanks all, I shall leave the settings be and gaze proudly at my DVI,TVout, VGA super duper wonder widget :8