PDA

View Full Version : Twin flying USA - recent experience

bumpffslam
20th Jul 2005, 13:02
For anyone looking for twin flying in USA, here's some notes on my experience during Jun/Jul 05. My objective was to simply build twin engine experience and hours (I already had a multi rating). I have no commercial relation with any of these companies.

Air Desert Pacific at Brackett Field, LA basin. They are still advertising (Aug 05 Pilot magazine) that they have 25 aircraft whereas they only have 12 flying however there are probably another 13 scrap airframes hulls lying around. I was told before going that I'd have to do a 10 hr checkout ( during which I would pay for the instructor and then any other hours they would provide a safety pilot at no charge. When I got there, I was told their rates had gone up and they now charge $49 per hour for the safety pilot/instructor which is compulsary. (I suspect on $10 goes to the instructor). They honoured the prices we had pre agreed. I flew Seneca 1 reg N2817T. This looked terrible and was basically equipped, but I came to trust it. Significantly it had only the 2 front seats! They have removed the other 4 seats from all their senecas. I'd fly with them again. Excellent weather conditions. Flying to Catalina Island is prohibited due to the runway condition

Plus One Flying Group, Montgomery Field, San Deigo. They are a multi aircraft (30+ aircraft, inc 4 or 5 multi) flying group, not a flying school or FBO. I flew Duchess N3803E. Nice condition and good performance. I paid $169 per hour plus $45 for instructor checkout. They were prepared to rent out to relatively low multi hour pilots after satisfactory check. Once you join the group (not expensive) you can hire any of their aircraft and arrange your own instuctor from a list of approved instructors. It's the owners of the aircraft who benefit by sharing costs. They don't advertise but they have a web site. Excellent set up. Singles are cheap eg $81 per hour for a TB10. The field is prone to early morning and evening cloud blown in from the sea. .

Cessna 310 based at Bracket Field. I met an instructor Mark Graf who owns a C310 which I flew for a couple of hours. Nice aircraft and instructor. He'll provide rental at approx $150 per hour plus $20 an hour instruction. He's probably willing to haggle for longer blocks. Email [email protected]. He deserves more business.

55 hrs over a couple of weeks worked out at approx £140 per hour including flights from London, accomodation and meals.

18greens
20th Jul 2005, 22:04
Good Post.

I've used Plus one and I thought they were great also. Good planes, low costs. Oddly people seem to be put off by their membership charges but I found the availability, costs, quality of planes and the 1 hour min per day more than outweigh this. Do they still have one key for all of the planes?

I wish Plus One existed in the UK.