PDA

View Full Version : Did Skynet ever get off the ground again?

swaairways
20th Jul 2005, 12:25
:confused:

I saw alot of talk of great things heppening for Skynet earlier in the year, but have heard nothing since.

Web site comes up "FORBIDDEN" whenever I look them up. Is that my good for nothing pc or the end of a short era for the carrier?

lowfaresbuster
20th Jul 2005, 19:16
some bit said about Skynet on IFSD.ie forum http://www.ifsd.ie/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5702

last I heard they were launching in September. I heard that one senior cabin crew memeber was asked to stay on until August without pay.

content from discussion on IFSD.ie below
----------------------------------------------
cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 23 March 2005 : 18:25:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear these guys are restarting, Moscow-Snn- Newark, with a St. Petersburgh-Snn-Newark run too.

Has anyone any info on them?

http://www.skynet.aero

website hasn't changed much, going to Moscow in July, was hoping to book with them, but will go BA via heathow as am anxiuos to book.

papahomer
Second Officer

Ireland
133 Posts
Posted - 24 March 2005 : 17:55:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunetly Skynet are gone and won't be coming back.

Spud
Test Pilot & Local Hero

Ireland
1960 Posts
Posted - 26 March 2005 : 11:21:34

Oh, what about their re-start plans for the 767's to the US?

shane.mul
Cadet

27 Posts
Posted - 26 March 2005 : 12:59:44

papahomer you are very wrong there, skynet are still going they have their 767 picked and should be starting up very soon just check out pprune and u'll see

cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 26 March 2005 : 13:17:18

I don't know if they are dead and buried.

From CH-Aviation newsletter (March 12th 2005):

Skynet Airlines (SI/Shannon) will lease a single B767-200ER to start Moscow Domodedovo-Shannon-New York Newark flights on behalf of Polet (POT/Voronezh).

From skynet.aero:

SKYNET AIRLINES PLANS TO RESUME REGULAR FLIGHTS

FROM MAY 2005 TO THE FOLLOWING DESTINATIONS:

FROM SHANNON TO MOSCOW, ST.PETERSBURG, NEW YORK.

Flights between MOSCOW, ST.PETERSBURG and destinations in the USA will be operated by the same aircraft.

Ireland is the only country in Europe whith US immigration preclearance.

This makes Shannon your most convenient gateway to the US!

THIS WEB SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR TICKET SALES early in 2005.

papahomer
Second Officer

Ireland
133 Posts
Posted - 27 March 2005 : 03:17:27

Guys, I'm an ex-empolyee of Skynet. I can tell you that any plans for a restart now seem dead and buried. It's a real pity and alot of us are still owed alot of money.

cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 28 March 2005 : 21:21:13

papahomer, the company is still live, and according to documents lodged with CRO in Jan 05, Antoly Carpov, CEO of Polet joined the company as a director late last year- this would corelate to the information in the CH-Aviation newsletter of the 12th March.

I suppose, it's watch this space? I presume you moved on to Eirjet?

How are those guys doing?

Edited by - cork20 on 28 March 2005 22:27:09

papahomer
Second Officer

Ireland
133 Posts
Posted - 29 March 2005 : 01:27:37

Eirjet is doing very well, we've recently picked up a contract with Ryanair, we're flying 8 sectors a day for them along with our regular charter work.

Pat, I would be the first to rejoice in the rebirth of Skynet, but even with the addition of Polet; Skynet are fighting a losing battle. There plans are based on zero commmercial research and at the moment they don't even have the necessary number of post holders required to hold an Irish AOC. With the current direct services from Moscow to the US why would anyone want to stop in SNN and get to the U.S slower and for more money????

cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 29 March 2005 : 11:13:56

Hi John,
I understand that Skynet may not have the number of post holders for an Irish AOC, is that why they are using Polet's licence? You are most likely more knowledgable on this- to be honest, i don't know, but am speculating.
Do skynet still have any staff/offices in SNN?
Good to hear eirjet are doing well.
P

papahomer
Second Officer

Ireland
133 Posts
Posted - 29 March 2005 : 21:12:18

Polet were looking to get into the passenger market, at present they only operate AN124's. Polet have taken over where Aeroflot left off. I must admit it's a bit of a touchy subject for me. We worked very hard in the last few weeks of Skynet to keep the operation going only to be told that we had two options, 1. Take unpaid leave until the airline got back on it's feet or 2. resign. Neither of these options would result in Skynet honouring it's contractual obligations to it's staff.

They closed the office in SNN about 3 weeks ago leaving the remaining 10 or so staff unpaid. The people in charge have dissapeared back to the US and Russia, probably never to be heard of again.

cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 09 April 2005 : 22:55:34

some more news:

from CH-aviation newsletter 8th April 2005:

Polet (POT/Voronezh) has added an ex-Domodedovo Airlines (E3/Moscow Domodedovo) and an ex-Centre-Avia (J7/Moscow Bykovo) Yak-42 to its fleet. It will use the aircraft to operate its planned new routes from Moscow Domodedovo and St. Petersburg to Shannon to feed its planned Shannon-New York service in cooperation with Skynet Airlines (SI/Shannon).

Makes sense to me- 767 X-Atlantic, and a 120 seater Yak onward to Russia.

cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2005 : 13:06:30

i note that http://www.skynet.aero is now redirecting to http://www.aeroflot.tv(a German Tour Operator specializing in tours to Russia)

So gone is the website with the:

SKYNET AIRLINES PLANS TO RESUME REGULAR FLIGHTS

FROM MAY 2005 TO THE FOLLOWING DESTINATIONS:

FROM SHANNON TO MOSCOW, ST.PETERSBURG, NEW YORK.

Flights between MOSCOW, ST.PETERSBURG and destinations in the USA will be operated by the same aircraft.

Ireland is the only country in Europe whith US immigration preclearance.

This makes Shannon your most convenient gateway to the US!

THIS WEB SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR TICKET SALES early in 2005.

"THIS WEB SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR TICKET SALES early in 2005." maybe not?

Darrell
Captain

Ireland
1204 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2005 : 09:22:05

I tried ringing them on 3 different Shannon area landlines but their phones are disconnected, they must have bailed out of their offices in Shannon.

cork20
Cadet

8 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2005 : 15:51:18

i did have this nummber, their new number after they left the SNN offices Phone: +353 61 719758
(+353 61 234461, old number) dunno if anyone at new number?

Buster the Bear
31st Oct 2005, 21:31
A group of investors is ready to pump more than 5m euro into the Skynet airline to get it back into the air, the High Court will hear this week.

The rescue package would see the Russian-Irish airline, currently in examinership, resuming flights between Shannon and America.
The examiner Jim Luby has finalised a plan with Russian and Irish investors and will put it to the court this week.

It involves creditors writing off more than 90pc of the 8.3m euro they are owed.

Weekend reports suggested that the leading figure in the rescue is Dublin businessman Joseph Kenny, who has interests in Russia.

Kenny and his wife Noreen intend to take a 50pc stake in the airline, the reports said.

The other 50pc is to be divided equally between Moscow businessman Igor Katalevskiy and a Cypriot company called Dataline Overseas, which is owned by Russian interests.

Skynet ran flights from Moscow to New York through Shannon until last April, when it suspended services because of its financial difficulties.

Dataline and Katalevskiy were two of Skynet's biggest creditors, who originally petitioned the High Court to have the airline placed in examinership.

lowfaresbuster
25th Nov 2005, 11:11
Skynet Airlines Ltd has had it's company status changed, it is now Normal after being in Examinership by Arthur Cox for a number of months- is there something happening?