PDA

View Full Version : Questions on BA shorthaul

Flymat
20th Jul 2005, 09:34
Being offered jobs with a couple of airlines, I am currently researching the differences and working conditions. I searched this forum and already found a lot of usefull information, but still have some unanswered questions

- I was wondering if any BA s/haul FO could share an example roster
- The salary is build upon different parts ... but I would like to know how it is build up on s/haul and how much is left over after tax, social security contributions and pension contribution, so basically how much you can take home each month, in year 1 or 2. I read a lot of complaints about it, but as far as I can judge it, BA has a very good salary scheme and the anual increase is pretty high.
- Commuting from Paris, e.g., is that possible on s/haul ? And if so, is it necessary to rent a room around LHR ? Basically I would like to know if commuting is practicable and how it can be organised efficiently.
- I already read that time to command is extremely long, but that is likely for most major airlines ... but starting s/haul, how long before having a chance as a FO longhaul?
- Finally the pension scheme seems to be worse than some years ago, but the scheme of contribution is also applied in most other airlines and final salary pension is becoming rare, or do I miss something ?
- Staff travel is another point of discussion when reading about BA, but I don't think it is any different as with other airlines, is it ? Who is eligible for staff travel ?
- any other important information about BA that I can take into account when deciding?

I understand working conditions at BA are not the same anymore as some years ago, but sadly the same applies for other airlines ... so I am only looking for objective information to compare the airlines so I can take this quite important decision. If anyone could help me with one or more of these points, I would appreciate it very much.

Thx

Human Factor
20th Jul 2005, 14:27
I'll let someone from shorthaul answer the pay and roster questions, As far as the rest goes:

Expect a longhaul FO position (777 or 747) after five or six years. For the first five years of employment, you are likely to be type frozen although BA can move you if they choose. Once that freeze is up, you can bid for longhaul in line with whatever seniority you have at the time. If there's a vacancy and you're senior enough, you'll get it.

Commuting will be possible eventually. Keep in mind you won't get staff travel for your first six months and then when you do, boarding priority is based upon earliest date of joining irrespective of whether you're a pilot, cabin crew or anyone else. You will also have to do Reserve (standby) probably for one month a year. Shorthaul involves some airport standby and some home standby. For home standby, you are required to be two hours from the car park. I would suggest you would need somewhere to stay around London for this time if nothing else.

Staff travel, which you will be elligible for after six months applies to you, your partner and kids up to the age of 24. If you don't have a partner, it applies to parents and brothers and sisters up to the age of 24, or a "Travel Companion" who can be anyone you like, although they can only travel when you are also on staff travel tickets (ie. they can't go on trips with you).

As for the new pension, the less said about that the better. As you know, the Final Salary Scheme is closed to new entrants. There are better Money Purchase pension deals out there with other companies.

Hope this helps.

Tim Byatt
20th Jul 2005, 19:57
Initially commuting for shorthaul will be very hard work,as by definition you will have little relative seniority on whichever fleet you go to. With time things will improve as others join below you.
This is true for the Airbus A319/320/321 at LHR and the B737 at LGW. It may not be true of the B757/767 LHR if you are lucky enough to start on this fleet, as it is very popular and some people transfer to this fleet once out of their initial (5 year) freeze, meaning you have to wait a long time to gain relative seniority.

Most shorthaul trips start early (too early to commute in by air) and finish midday/mid afternoon, or start midday/mid afternoon and finish late (too late to commute back home by air), and frequently blocks of work start early and finish late, making it worse, so overseas commuting although done is not that common, and would be very difficult IMHO in the early days until you have at least some bidding control over your roster.

As for the current pension provision for new entrants, it is very poor.