PDA

View Full Version : $ for FAA 135 certificate

flyheli
19th Jul 2005, 16:08
Hey folks!

Does anybody have an idea how much a company would charge you if you want to use their 135 certificate. We operate only one aircraft and would like to use one of the local companies with a 135 certificate to add our heli to their certificate.

Thanks for your inputs!

flyheli

tommacklin
19th Jul 2005, 19:28
Flyheli,

I am sure that what you need has been done before but I doubt very much that any Pt 135 operator would do that unless they know the individual very well. It is not a question of $$.

Aside from the amount of admin, training, testing and supervision, the certificate holder would be assuming responsibility for your operation and would effectively be setting you up as a competitor. Why would he do that?

A single pilot/operator, Pt 135 is relatively simple to set up, however, it could take up to a year depending on how busy the local FSDO is.

I would recommend you have a look at setting up on your own.

I hope this helps.

flyheli
19th Jul 2005, 20:19
Thank you for the response tom!

The advantage for the company could be that they don't have enough aircraft and want to use it in addition to theirs or the operator is concentrating on fixed wing charter and wants to add a chopper so they also can offer a rotor craft.

tommacklin
19th Jul 2005, 21:59
If that is the case then they would pay you. I understood from your initial post that you wanted to operate the helicopter for your own business and pay a percentage or a fixed amount to the certificate holder.

If adding your helicopter to an existing 135 operation will be advantageous to the certificate holder then you may be able to strike a deal that gives him access to your aircraft at a specified hourly rate and in turn he allows you to use the privileges of his certificate for a certain number of hours or on a particular job.

I would see it as a tricky deal though. You could not advertise your services under your own company name, it would have to be under the certificate holder's company name.

Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions about what you want to do.

rotormatic
21st Jul 2005, 11:03
Here are some details on how the FAA looks at these types of operations.

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/notices/8400/n8400-83.doc

tommacklin
21st Jul 2005, 15:03
I think the first few paragraphs of that document say it all.

Valuable document Rotormatic, thanks.