PDA

View Full Version : Florida in August

too_sleepy
19th Jul 2005, 14:29
Hi
I've planned a trip to Florida for two weeks in August. I hope to get a good few hours built up in that time. Now I'm concerned with the weather, they've had a bit of wind lately.

Who would chance this trip? WOuld I be betetr off heading to the other coast, San Diego or LA?

Thanks

Skyone
19th Jul 2005, 17:45
I wouldnt be concerned about wind, be concern about daily thunderstorms and heavy rains, in summer rains every day and frequent thunderstorms are daily occurence, mind it doesnt rain all day just for an hour maybe.
I will be in sarasota florida at that time

Farrell
19th Jul 2005, 19:24
I was suppose to finish up some training in August but I changed my mind due to the risk of the odd hurricane - but according to friends on the east coast of Florida, the weather is lovely!

TenAndie
19th Jul 2005, 19:37
I flew in Florida for 3 months during the summer and never had a problem.

If anything it made the flying a little more fun, especially at night dodging the storms !!

too_sleepy
20th Jul 2005, 14:24
Not looking good for Florida in August. Small article predicting 'above normal' thunderstorm activity.
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/outlooks/hurricane.html

For the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season the ACE index is expected to be in the range of 120%-190% of the median. The outlook also calls for 12-15 tropical storms, with 7-9 becoming hurricanes, and 3-5 of these becoming major hurricanes [categories 3-4-5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale].

The vast majority of the tropical storms and hurricanes in 2005 will form during August-October. Many of these are likely to form over the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean Sea in the region between 9°N-21.5°N (green box), which is typical for above-normal seasons. These systems generally track westward toward the Caribbean Sea and/or United States as they strengthen. Historically, similar seasons have averaged 2-3 landfalling hurricanes in the continental United States and 1-2 hurricanes in the region around the Caribbean Sea. However, it is currently not possible to confidently predict at these extended ranges the number or intensity of landfalling hurricanes, and whether or not a given locality will be impacted by a hurricane this season.

wesp
9th Aug 2005, 01:12
Florida is just terrible in July/August/September Thunderstorms every afternoon and terribly hot. The only time to fly is between 6.00-10.00 am. and at night. Not the best place to be in the summer.

And I live there!!!!!!!

Sensible
9th Aug 2005, 12:37
No, Florida isn't hot, this place is hot:

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USNV0051_c.html?force_units=1

but at least it's mainly dry and the hotels are cheap and nice!

B2N2
9th Aug 2005, 16:17
Florida is definitely not bad in the summer time.
Yes, for 3 months straight CB's in every forecast, but generally easily avoidable.
The unique shape and geographic location of Florida generate some interesting WX issues.
Every afternoon the seabreeze kicks in, generally on both coast-lines.
This generally keeps the CB's at bay till about 10 miles inland, meaning the shoreline is still clear to fly in the afternoons.
generally that is.
Sometimes one of the seabreezes becomes dominant and forces it's way over the other shoreline, but in that case you can fly around inland or just sit it for an hour or so.If you can't stand the heat very well, morning flying till about noon is very doable.
Leaves you the rest of the day on the beach..
at least in SW FL......:ok:;)