PDA

View Full Version : Job Applications ?????

CaptSimile
19th Jul 2005, 10:11
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum. If this subject has been addressed before could you please provide a link as to where.

Anyway, in mosts peoples experience do you find that you have a greater response and or success to posting your CV to prospective companies or emailing them ???

Also, do companies that do not specifically state that they do not want phone calls generally get annoyed if you call them out of the blue ????

I am new to the job hunting lark so any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

CaptSimile.

CaptSimile
19th Jul 2005, 13:48
Thank you very much for the information it is much appreciated. However, why such a hostile way of answering my query???

I am aware that Girls use this Forum too - the term "Guys" used collectively can mean a group of people from either sex - my reference was the Cambridge Dictionary!!!

I take job hunting very seriously and do not think it is a silly game at all. English is not my first language and I used the word lark to try and make the post informal and to try and convey it in an upbeat way - we are all in similar positions so in future could you please be less hostile.

I do not need to change my attitude however someone that is quick to try and point out faults in others may want to take his or her own advice.

Thank you once again though for the informative answer.

CaptSimile

On this forum, we discourage the habit of quoting the immediately previous posts - even when it is done clearly - as we can all read them for ourselves. It is sufficient simply to name who it is you're replying to.

Scroggs

Kerropi
19th Jul 2005, 14:37
Hi Hi :D

A few months ago I posted this :

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167995&highlight=journal

Now I have sent a total of 100 letters/emails/application.. I have received a total >90 rejection letters. So the responds are quite high.. but not the results that I have wanted :ouch:

I am afraid I cannot help you much because I also have not got any succes in this jobhunting game....

Good Luck anyway :ok:

K.

Gufo
19th Jul 2005, 14:44
Just move on, CaptSimile... Everyone gets frustrated now and then, and those are the answers the give you :}

I've sent tons of CVs, as well.. My first air taxi job was arranged personally, talking nuts to a former airforce colonel I got to know earlier. The next two were "achieved" by fax. But I always send "multi-channel" CVs to the airlines I'm interested in. You spent lots of money for training, and are probably bound to spend a little more (but refrain from doing that easily); don't save the small bucks for the CVs :ok:

CaptSimile
19th Jul 2005, 15:07
Kerropi and Gufo,

Thank you very much for the replies.

I think that Kobus did have some good points with regards to maybe calling in in-person and presenting your CV directly. If dressed smartly and not too pushy I am sure that you could create a good impression.

Perhaps then calling a day or two later to see if they are interested etc - I will certainly try this method.

Kerropi, thank you for the thread, it was an interesting read. It looks like we have similar flight experience. I have to admit that I have not made as many applications as you.

I am not too disapointed as I work within ATC so I am in a related field.

All we can do is stay current and positive and I am sure our turn will come.

I remember someone I met who was a Pilot for DHL - he told me (this is before I went commercial) that it is a better idea to send a paper CV in rather than an email because it can not simply be deleted - HR people print the CV's they want anyway and yours is more to hand in paper format. Addressing it to the correct person i.e NO Dear Sir or Madams is also a good start I was told.

I will kick off my applications heavily as from August 1st. I will let everyone know how I get on and what method I used.

CaptSimile.

FlyFree
21st Jul 2005, 14:55
I know it sounds like a old record, but donīt give up!

It will take time, and I think it is really important to keep up the motivation, and do not ever forget what YOUR goal is...

It is important to get your foot in the door, build hours and experiance and move your way up

Always good to get a personal contact with the company you have your sight set on, doesnīt matter who it is, that person might give you good information about what is going on without even knowing it......

If you do get a good contact with somebody, ask if it is alright to call back after a month, and so on, after awhile, the person will remeber you......

Donīt forget to upgrade your CV, if you get more hours, or something else, then the CV gets moved "to the top of the pile"

Just for info: I made it, working now as a F/O, passanger airline.....so it works, hope you get some help from it.

Good luck,

Happy landings.