PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Thailand?

carluk59
19th Jul 2005, 05:05
Hello everyone!
I'm new to this site & find it very interesting. I am currently in training for my private license & want to know if anyone has any information or advice for a person wanting to relocate in Thailand to start an airtour service. So far I have been strongly advised that I should acquire the float rating for an amphibious service. Does anybody have any advice or tips on this subject? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

+'ve ROC
19th Jul 2005, 16:14
I was there a couple of months ago and was surprised about the lack of such a service, at least in the parts I visited...

A flying tour of some of the islands - especially on the Andaman (Western) side of the Thai peninsula would have been fantastic!

I seem to recall Samui having a Piper something for their flying club but I think that was the only light I saw out there.

I guess you'd be aiming your 'product' at the better-heeled tourist, so you would obviously want to be near one of the bigger tourist resorts. Not really sure about the GA airfield situation near these areas (Phuket, for example) so a floatplane sounds quite wise!

You probably don't need me to tell you, but getting around in Thailand can be awkward to say the least, especially if you don't want to 'rough it' on ferries etc. For the better off traveller, an airtour service to/from islands would be very attractive i would imagine.

Bear in mind that the monsoon season could cause problems flying-wise and of course there is the seasonailty of tourism over there. Good Luck :ok:

Sultan Ismail
19th Jul 2005, 16:43
Flying in Thailand

You might like to try xxxxx which has a stack of links to all the other sites that can answer your questions.

xxxx itself is a successful club and has been visited by several of our pilots in KL.

Monsoons are seasonal, we are curently going into one now, but it will not ground you for months on end, just have to choose the time of day to fly.

The Andaman Sea area is as good a choice as any. You might also consider Pulau Pangkor, Langkawi, Pulau Tioman and Pulau Redang.

Sultan - edited to remove reference to commercial organisations which are a no-no on pprune. You can always PM the poster?

carluk59
20th Jul 2005, 02:12
Thanks to those who replied with information on this subject. I was also surprised at the lack of such a service in this area & hope that this remains to be. (for my benefit)
Anyone else with useful information?