PDA

View Full Version : Flt School in Jandakot

Left Wing
19th Jul 2005, 02:27
Any news on WAA college in Jandakot, looking for a full CPL for intl' student.

cheers

DBLE
19th Jul 2005, 02:49
Check their website - www.waaviationcollege.com.au

Left Wing
19th Jul 2005, 13:11
DBLE thks, I already got that. Any info from past students / inst.

4SPOOLED
20th Jul 2005, 05:35
i recommend "The Aeroplane Company"

www.theaeroplanecompany.com.au

They have some brand new Diamonds which are great little aircraft, and plenty more.

Left Wing
20th Jul 2005, 10:08
thks 4,

and why not WAA college ! cost is a factor here. Diamonds are expensive.

Continental-520
20th Jul 2005, 11:57
What 4SPOOLED said. Ditto.

Why TAC instead of WAAC?
Cause at WAAC you're just a number. You're just 40 grand to them, nothing more.

TAC have experienced instructors for ab initio, who have been out there in the bush and getting some practical experience, whereas the RACWA guys these days are just graduated students of the same place, as far as ab initio goes anyway.

They have some GREAT instructors there, though, but they're mainly restricted to tests and IFR stuff.

I can see the onslaught coming...

Billacabella
20th Jul 2005, 13:22
What part of your training did you do at TAC?

Billa

4SPOOLED
21st Jul 2005, 03:27
I wouldnt say what part of my training i have completed there as i wish to remain anonymous on these forums and by telling where i am in my training it will be fairly obviouse who i am.

TAC are a great organisation, with more one on one care given to the students. (and every instuctor knows our name) One of my good mates completed training at WAAC and although happy with the outcome, would rather have trained at TAC.

If you prefer the cost of a cheaper Aircraft, TAC still offer a C-152 Aerobat, and a C-150 Aerobat, Although you will fly the Diamond in Your PPL, so you may aswell get used to it for your GFPT.

At the end of the day, if it costs a little extra to complete your training, but you come out a more competant and professional pilot that is more employable, i know what i would prefer!!.

What i would suggest is when you come over to do a Intro flight, do one with both companys and make your mind up from there.

Good luck with whatever direction you take anyway mate!

My 2c

4S

Left Wing
21st Jul 2005, 04:37
thks 4 !

any more views ? I need to be sure before I pump in all those $. Would it be advisable to just drop in Perth and start looking around.

Whats housing like in the area? Do I need a car.

thks for all the info

InTransit
21st Jul 2005, 10:41
Anyone who's trained at Jandakot will tell you that the public transport down there is woeful. BUT, I'm not saying buy a car. My advice would be to call as many of the schools down there as possible. Speak to the CFI's, and let them know your situation and what you want out of the training. Most of them, if not all of them, will be more than happy to help you. And if they're not willing, and don't seem to care, not all is lost...you'll just know where not to train! :) The other advantage of calling the schools before you get is that the CFI's can help you sort out accomodation and transport. I know that at WAAC, with the students that attend, you'll be able to car pool with the other students, and more than likey, share accomodation with them. The CFI is, and should be, your intermediary for these sorts of matters.

With respect to the choice of flying school, remember this; in principle, every school will offer you the same thing. The only difference will be the person teaching you. But don't fall into the trap of believing someone when they say "all the instructors there are crap, and all the ones here are good." No matter where you go, you'll find instructor who you don't get along with, and as Murphy would suggest, that instructor will be the first instructor you get! You have the luxury to change instructors...excercise it. Don't go through your training with someone you don't learn well from. Trust me...I learned the hard/expensive way! ;)

The only other advice I would give you..being an international student, don't let the oppportunity to see the country pass you by. When your training is done, the hours to get your licence will be no different to anyone else's. So use them as they should be used, flying somewhere different. Don't do your commercial nav's as flying to "some shed to take some aerial photos" and flying back to Jandakot.

Anyway, good luck with it all...

InTransit

4SPOOLED
21st Jul 2005, 14:02
If you are coming before end of year, PM me and i am more than happy to show you around so you can make an educated decision.

There is accomadation at YPPH, although many students find solice in other suburbs around the airfield. (rent is fairly cheap in Perth especially if you share with others in your situation. TAC can also help in that area, allow up to $200AUD if you rent alone , or $60AUD if you share)

Left Wing
21st Jul 2005, 16:05
as you guys would say "thks heaps" & good stuff, InTransit