PDA

View Full Version : Recent RFDS S/E section interviews.

Beaufighter
18th Jul 2005, 23:21
Anyone had an interview with the RFDS S/E section lately. I had an interview in early July, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I have the feeling that only a small amount of pilots where interviewed. Has anyone else who was recently interviewed had a reply ?

I have heard that they have since tried to fill some of the positions from within, although they are still going to have to hire I believe.

morning mungrel
19th Jul 2005, 05:11
Ah well, at least you got a look in........:(

Taggert
23rd Jul 2005, 07:50
Have just got word from a mate that he has been successful in the process. Start date 4 weeks in Essendon.

Blamping
24th Jul 2005, 05:27
There are at least four on the groundschool - three who do not have any BE20 time.

I believe they stole one pilot from Central Section and another from Western Operations so there are still a couple of RFDS spots still around the country.

I am also (not so reliably told so don't quote me on it) that the most recent lot might find themselves flying pistons as well as the 200 (in the future) as part of another aeromedical contract they are actively bidding for.

bushy
24th Jul 2005, 05:49
Is a "not for profit " organisation, that is supported by Govt money, and public subscription bidding for contracts?
Do they have dispensations re duty times too??

Cactus Jak
24th Jul 2005, 07:33
The only pistons in the S/E section are at BK and they are 2 x Titans. Good aeroplanes to fly if you have to fly a piston.

Anyone can bid for a commercial contract. The RFDS operate a number of them. They are run independant of the NFP services.

bushy
24th Jul 2005, 12:19
Are you saying they use the same name, but do not use any of the assets or staff?

Cactus Jak
24th Jul 2005, 23:59
No.
They use the name of the RFDS and are also responsible for the assets on each contract.

i.e. Pilots, engineers, aircraft, office and hanger space etc, etc. are all covered by the contract budget.

They even have their logos plastered all over the aircraft on some of the contracts.

morning mungrel
25th Jul 2005, 05:27
Just for my own curiosity, any ideas on kinds of hours the 3 with no BE200 time had?

ZK-NSJ
25th Jul 2005, 10:48
chuck a stretcher in the back of the chieftain mm, competition might do the industry good , lol

ComeByChance
25th Jul 2005, 13:14
I heard one of the guys without B200 time has considerable turbine time (Dash 8, Metro and Bandit).

Blamping
25th Jul 2005, 15:17
Hi Comebychance.

I heard one of the guys without B200 time has considerable turbine time (Dash 8, Metro and Bandit).
He has jet time too I believe. With all the movement they were having, they are making an effort (now and in the future) to recruit those that are very unlikely to move on...

swh
26th Jul 2005, 21:44
Blamping,

Does that mean that the ex-Army guys will not get a slot any more to build up their fixed wing ME command time before heading off to VB ?

:ugh:

scenicflight
27th Jul 2005, 02:04
Word i hear is they still need more drivers. Struggling to find people with 1000hr multi turbine command to meet contract req.

morning mungrel
27th Jul 2005, 04:25
S/E don't ask for 1000 Multi Turbine anywhere. If that's what they want then they should ask for it one would think.

Blamping
27th Jul 2005, 07:18
S/E don't ask for 1000 Multi Turbine anywhere. If that's what they want then they should ask for it one would think.
The Air Ambulance contract in Sydney requires a minimum 1000 hours turbine. They do ask for it.

Bell Man
27th Jul 2005, 08:27
I also had an interview with the RFDS a few weeks ago, and I haven't had a reply yet. I was told at the interview that I would have an answer in about two weeks, it's been over three weeks now. If anyone in the know, know's if they have employed all the pilots for this intake, I would like to know, as I have been offered another higher paying job elsewhere.

I have BE20 time, together with Bandit and a stack of Twin Otter time.

:confused:

clear to land
27th Jul 2005, 14:27
SWH I would suggest you check your facts. The only ex Army and ex RFDS pilot that I know in VB already had considerable multi experience (otherwise he wouldn't have got the RFDS job). Hardly an hour building exercise for an airline job. Feel free to PM me if you are actually interested in the facts.

morning mungrel
28th Jul 2005, 04:32
Blamping my point was if you apply to S/E section via the website, it DOESN'T mention anything about requiring 1000 multi turbine. Go look for yourself.

Blamping
28th Jul 2005, 05:26
morning mungrel, my apologies - You're right (I wasn't referring to their web site). However, they will let you know at some point of certain base requirements - whether that be at first contact or at the interview.

Bell Man. The last lot to go through had interviews as late as three weeks ago. It is possible that you were unsuccessful on this occasion :( Might I suggest you give them a call...

They do have a very high turnover.. and only those that work (or have worked) for the company can really tell you why.

Razor
28th Jul 2005, 06:31
I agree with Cleared to Land. I remember doing his training with the RFDS. Already quite qualified and didn't come straight from the Army but had done some other flying between times. In my time doing C & T for RFDS we held the notion that night hrs, a number of CIR renewals and considerable twin time was important. Can't quite remember the minimum criteria but it wasn't a job for the new boys on the block.
Considerable pressures at times on the pilot to achiveve the aim - medical, weather, time constraints, etc. They need someone who is quite willing and mature enough to realise that saying NO may mean that you save 3 lives(yours, nurse, dr) and maybe lose 1 in the process. Happened to me up the Cape a couple of times. Could've busted the rules, even Mercy flight to make the pickup but the risks are sometimes too high. That's why they look for someone who has been around for a while.

scenicflight
9th Aug 2005, 02:55
Can anyone confirm if they have been offered an interview recently?

Jet_A_Knight
9th Aug 2005, 05:05
Scenicflight, check your pm's.

G.A. Boy
15th Jan 2006, 06:05
Just curious. Has anyone been offered interviews lately, and if so, how is it normally conducted? ie. what do they ask/style.