PDA

View Full Version : Presenting an E-version of an E-ticket for check-in, any problems?

wrafter
18th Jul 2005, 21:07
Has anyone encountered any problems when presenting your ticket to check-in desk staff in an airport when it's not on a physical piece of paper, but on a laptop of BlackBerry device?

I have a situation where I have a flight in 24 hours but do not nor will not have a printer to hand in that time - I do have the reference number and email on my BlackBerry and am wondering if it'll be acceptable.

I guess it may depend on the airline, or the mood on the day - but are there any hard-and-fast rules laid down anywhere?

I'm flying EI.

Jordan D
18th Jul 2005, 22:00
Depends on who you're flying with ... with Easyjet, I have often just handed over my passport or a sticky note with a scrawl on and that does the trick ....

Jordan

PAXboy
18th Jul 2005, 22:02
I have quoted the locator number and presented the correct ID a number of times. If those two match, then you are on.

Of course, some carriers might get picky but it is the the combination of number and ID. Normally, one prints the number for easy reference but only hands it to the agent to make it easier for them to read, rather than to have to understand what you are saying and so speed things up.

Final 3 Greens
19th Jul 2005, 10:44
Just be a little careful, since security can insist on seeing a printed itinerary as a condition of going airside.

I've never had it happen to me, IIR, Expedia issue this as a standard caveat with their e-tickets.

Could you email it or fax it to your hotel front desk/business centre or to a work colleague and get them to print it?

Or can you check in at a self service machine and get a receipt - i.e. looks like the back portion of a paper ticket (I know that you can with BA, not sure about EI)

lexxity
19th Jul 2005, 15:58
The only time you really need a printed itinerary for my airline is when flying to the US, the only reason is to show your return date.

Globaliser
19th Jul 2005, 16:22
Jordan D: Depends on who you're flying with ... with Easyjet, I have often just handed over my passport or a sticky note with a scrawl on and that does the trick ....I've adopted this practice, too: Write locator plus flight numbers/dates/times onto a yellow sticky, and stick it on the passport page opposite the personal details. Easiest for self-reminder as well as helping the check-in staff.

I think that in the US, the ability of the airline to print a duplicate e-ticket receipt was/is a condition of the airline being permitted to accept e-tickets. Don't know if that applies all over, but BA is certainly good at printing out receipts on check-in or in the lounge.

Jordan D
19th Jul 2005, 22:15
Globaliser - good to see I'm not alone on this!

Jordan

wrafter
19th Jul 2005, 23:26
Alll, thanks for information - flight in six hours - time to catch a few Zzzzzs.