PDA

View Full Version : Deck chairs on the good ship Emirates

ernestkgann
18th Jul 2005, 18:30
It appears that the upper management of EK are tinkering with the deck chairs on the vessel as a response to the poor observed and reported performance of the airline. Demanding strict adherence to dress standards for the pilots and cabin crew will not increase the Skytrax rating, attract good quality applicants, create on-time departures and, most importantly, keep the airline safe. Indeed morale will only be further eroded as the first sailors are hung from the yard arm for not decorating themselves with the correct war paint.
Interestingly managers at all levels in EK are never keen to use the expertise of their crew to help them right the ship. Often people do tell them things that would genuinely help fix the problems but they are written off as whingeing. If they do ask for suggestions then they usually ignore them because they cost money and I'm not talking wages. The culture of 'yes' in the airline favoured by the founding fathers, also works against them. As the truth is continually suppressed at lower levels, the bosses who could actually implement change for the better, never find out until the ratings plummet or worse.
The airline will not get better because of grooming standards. The real reasons are many and varied but they all cost money. Until they're fixed then crew will leave, applicants won't, aircraft will depart 20 minutes late and so on.
I believe cabin crew want consistency, the chance for a career, potentially a provident fund and maybe maternity leave. Pilots want consistency in upgrade policy, a proactive safety department, an FTL scheme that is applied with the intent of safety first not money and decent rosters. I'm not that sure what some of the other groups will want but there will be issues and they will cost money.
One thing is certain though, letters about grooming standards will make no difference at all.

AMX10
18th Jul 2005, 18:37
Aye Aye!

LHR Rain
18th Jul 2005, 18:51
Now here this:

The floggings will continue until morale improves!

BYMONEK
18th Jul 2005, 19:08
We've got a 'potential' provident fund as well. Should be on the 'jet blast' forum. That's full of jokes !

ruserious
18th Jul 2005, 22:37
Pretty well sums it up ernest, so we can expect no real change then.

Quod Boy
18th Jul 2005, 23:06
Agreed,an awful lot of relevant stuff(safety,standards) goes under the carpet at middle management level,in order to keep themselves looking shipshape.

Grooming standards,just another mis directed defaulter.

The real issues are as you state Ernie.Problem as you suggest if you raise them to the Captains cabin instead of listening he will pay you lip service and ammend your file for a keel hauling.

Newsletters state the cabin door is open,but be wary stepping in.

Warnings on crew morale, standards,FTL,upgrade policy have been ignored,shoals and reefs ahead me thinks,unless someone on upper deck stands up and comes clean on the real issues. Sir.

QB

:cool:

gccpro
19th Jul 2005, 07:57
Is this anything new?

Welcome to Emirates Dubai Inc.

Life will never be the same after you join, I suggest you stop thinking, get dresses before you go to sleep and be ready for when they call you.

None of these managers would last in any other country, they have it made for them here. As to the mid management, show me someone in IFS who has been promoted on merit? Apart from two the rest are just parasites, they were then as crew and still are now.
What inspiration is that for the crew? None.

This is Emirates, Hail Caesar, Errr sorry Maurice!!!!

A world of discovery