PDA

View Full Version : Any North East Airport To London Gatwick

MMEMatty
18th Jul 2005, 18:15
Hi All

I'm looking to go down to Gatwick in early September for a Class 1 Medical, and was wondering if anyone knows any carriers that fly from North East Airports (Newcastle, Teesside, Leeds etc) to Gatwick? So Far the cheapest i've found is BA with £103 for the day, anyone know of any others? Also, is this the best way? or would it be cheaper to take a train or bus down and stay over?

Many Thanks

Matty

Wannabe Flyboy
19th Jul 2005, 06:18
I'm pretty sure it's just BA that fly to LGW from the North East.

You could get a train but unless you can somehow go via Luton you'll need to change stations in London via the Underground. Leeds and Newcastle trains are GNER to Kings Cross and trains to LGW depart from Victoria.

Try booking your BA flight through www.american-airlines.co.uk - that can work out to be a fair bit cheaper BUT you lose any ability to use Online or Self-Service checkin.

Herp
19th Jul 2005, 11:12
Alternatively if you could get yourself to Manchester (yes I know it is in the NW) then Jet2 would be a cheap option.

Surely though there must be a CAA accredited doc in the NE for a Class 1 medical?

Wannabe Flyboy
19th Jul 2005, 11:14
EZY might to a LGW service from LPL.

Final 3 Greens
19th Jul 2005, 11:33
Bit messy, but you could do.....

EZY NCL to STN

train STN to Tottenham Hale station

tube from tottenham hale to Victoria

train from victoria to LGW

However, the cost of the surface transport may make BAs 103GBP look reasonable.

Best of luck with the medical.

Maude Charlee
19th Jul 2005, 14:39
I think MME is referring to the initial class 1, which can only be done at the CAA medicentre at Gatwick.

Have you tried EZY to STN (from NCL) and then the coach/train across London? Not particularly convenient, but could be cheaper in the long run (flights should cost less than £40 return). Might even leave enough money over to get down the night before and get a good night's rest before the medical (there's a lot of sitting around in a dressing gown doing nothing). There is a Travel Inn right next to the terminal which I stayed in prior to mine a few years back.

From what I can remember from being down in the Big Smoke in April, the bus from STN to Victoria is only £23 return, with the journey taking 1 hour.

FlyboyBen
22nd Jul 2005, 06:42
BA fly to Gatwick from Aberdeen!!! The only airport in the North East of the UK!!!

Final 3 Greens
22nd Jul 2005, 07:18
Funny how it's called the UK, when it suits you jocks, but Scotland when it doesn't ;)

Richard Taylor
22nd Jul 2005, 07:59
The FASTEST GROWING BAA airport in the NE of the UK...

;) ;)

PilotsPal
22nd Jul 2005, 10:04
Travelling by train and booking in advance, Newcastle to Gatwick Airport will cost from £58 (return).

Bus429
23rd Jul 2005, 11:40
Just tried to book from NCL to LGW travelling on 25th using AA site. Only £475 return.

I usually use the train but I live in the far NW of England. Virgin fares approximate £83 Super Saver.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
23rd Jul 2005, 14:59
flybe NCL-SOU (£102 rtn), Airport express coach SOU-LGW (£30 rtn).

Just a thought.

Cheers,

NEO.

girtbar
23rd Jul 2005, 19:16
If you could get to Edinburgh then theres BA and Ezy going to LGW.

spekesoftly
24th Jul 2005, 00:52
Also, is this the best way? or would it be cheaper to take a train or bus down and stay over?

A night stop near Gatwick won't be cheap. Just taking the Gatwick South Travel Inn as an example (suggested earlier) - about £55-00/night, and then add the cost of an evening meal and breakfast - say at least another £25-00, comes to approx £80-00. That only leaves you £23-00 for travel expenses, compared with the cost you have quoted for flying there and back on the same day.

There's a regular courtesy coach service between Gatwick's South Terminal and the CAA Medical Centre.

biffo170
25th Jul 2005, 07:52
A few years back, I think it was in 2001, I flew to Gatwick for my class 1. I used BA and flew from Leeds. For the convenience you will not beat flying there. I went down on the first flight of the day, did the medical and was on my return flight by mid afternoon. The price hasn't changed much since as I think I paid about 90 pounds.

Dash-7 lover
25th Jul 2005, 21:52
Try VLM - not sure if they still do LPL-LCY?