PDA

View Full Version : Cyber exams- the perils of ASL

g-lock69
18th Jul 2005, 13:57
Hey guys,

I had an ATPL exam scheduled today, the exam centre of which is a good 3 hours drive from where I live. Just as I arrived at the venue ASL rang to inform me that "unfortunately" I couldn't sit my exam today, dut to the exam venue (a hotel) being fully booked.

This is the 2nd time ASL have stuffed me around, just wondering if anyone else has been mucked around also?

Lasiorhinus
19th Jul 2005, 02:38
Suggest that if you're going to have to travel regardless, travel to a bigger, more established exam centre, like Melbourne or Sydney.
Dont know where you are so I dont know which one is best, but bigger is more reliable than the country "temporary" centres

6080ft
19th Jul 2005, 07:46
Looks like yet another example of how useless ASL are.
Pity there is no competition out there to give them a wake up call!!!!!!

sir.pratt
19th Jul 2005, 09:28
bill them for your time. the morning of the exam is too late to be cancelling because of failing to secure accomodation. a motel doesn't suddenly become booked out - they obviousl;y hadn't booked themselves in. their failure. you had a contract with them to sit it on time/date, and they have failed to honour it, their notice being substantially deficient.

if you had an incident on the way to the exam and called and said that something that morning had prevented you from sitting said exam, you would fail it. why should they get away with it?

hoarfrost
19th Jul 2005, 11:04
ASL i just an abortion!!!

They can rarely do things right. If you stuff up they're pretty quick to tell you that your money is non refundable. However if they can't provide the service it's still on you. To bad for the people who do have to travel or even book accomodation to make an early sitting.

They're a proffessional organisation...i'd like to see what happens if a University cancels an exam or YR12 exams for some reason get cancelled!

It's a joke!

jandakotpilot
20th Jul 2005, 15:58
Just a rumour that I have been hearing down the pipeline:

CASA misquoted ASL on how many students will be sitting all computer exams when the contract was out for tender.
I have heard that the figure CASA quoted was double than the actual amount. (hence the price rise last year) but ASL are still trying to break even so what I have heard will happen is ALL exams will be sat at ASL (including BAK and PPL) and no longer at the flying schools to boost numbers at ASL centres, plus there will be another price rise to cover the gap.

Scary to think!
ASL has lost 6 exams of students that I know.
Plus they lost one of my ATPL exams too!
(I almost killed them for that)

Something must be done......

g-lock69
21st Jul 2005, 13:09
What makes me laugh is the fact that ASL have a monopoly over the exam side of things. They're there to make money and money only.

ive put the pressure on them, I get the next exam for free....
As for the travel expenses..... its like getting blood out of a stone.

They do for aviation what fast food does for health.

CaptainToBe
21st Jul 2005, 22:28
While I agree with all of you that ASL needs to clean up their act, I think if you look hard enough at the small writing you'll find that they are able to cancel the exam at the last minute, and dont have to re-imburse you anything for it (i.e. travel expenses etc).

I think everyone should accept that any dealings with ASL are short term (or should be anyways unless you take 20 years to finish your ATPL). Because of this, I have just accepted that its an expensive pain in the ass until the exams are over. If this was a long term problem, then i would be saying the same things you have all said and would be trying to get this problem solved. Just like ASL is a short term problem for us, we are a short term problem for ASL so they're trying to get as much out of us while they can. It doesn't stop CASA from charging on top of that though.....