PDA

View Full Version : Firefox tiny edit window on Pprune

Self Loading Freight
17th Jul 2005, 22:45
I'm running Firefox 1.0.5 on XP Pro, and for some reason the edit window in the Post New Topic page here on Pprune is very narrow - 35 characters wide with the standard font.

I've had a quick look through this forum, but can't find this error discussed. Other people seem to be using FF fine... any ideas what it could be?

R

Avtrician
18th Jul 2005, 08:03
The firefox/mozilla post pane is narrow and long, you just get used to it. Dont know of any fix for it.

joe2812
18th Jul 2005, 11:12
Yep, mine is the same.

Annoying but you do get used to it. If however you find a fix, gimme a shout!

Stoney X
18th Jul 2005, 11:26
Looks like something on the server-side that would need changing. Having looked at the HTML in both IE and Mozilla I see that in IE you get "cols="70"" and in Mozilla "cols="40"" so something deep within the pprune engine must be checking what browser you have and setting the cols (width of the text area) accordingly.

Regards
Stoney

frostbite
18th Jul 2005, 12:07
I think it's adjustable in something called about:config, or something similar. which gives you a list of all the FF settings. (type name in url box)

Sorry, don't have time atm to check further.

frostbite
18th Jul 2005, 14:57
Just checked - it is 'about:config' needs typing in, and it's like a sort of registry for FF - lots of tweaks you can make (with care!).

Stoney X
19th Jul 2005, 08:25
frostbite, the only setting in about:config that seems to apply to widths and/or columns is editor.htmlWrapColumn. I've tried changing the value but that has no effect on the html received from pprune. cols is still 40.

Regards
Stoney

MadsDad
20th Jul 2005, 10:27
This may be relevant to the discussion. We are having problems at work with site access using Firefox, as opposed to IE (what is happening with a particular part of our site is that it displays lists of items and under Firefox the lists are overlapping, this does not occur under IE). The techs have come up with this.

'Our Web pages are designed to be consistent with the xhtml1-strict DTD, as declared in the DOCTYPE header. Firefox and Netscape do their best to respect the strict HTML standard, though IE doesn't care much about that.
The header is included from files provided by us. These actually don't follow the strict HTML standard. Therfore, they are not displayed properly on Firefox/Netscape.

From the company portal, I could see that most pages support the transitional HTML standard, which instructs the browser to support HTML as well as XHTML, as much as it can do.'

Could well depend on the doctype used in the Pprune site.

(Edited to add. I use Firefox and have the small window problem as well. There are also problems with scrolling when replying to a thread - the scroll wheel on the mouse doesn't work and I have to use the cursor bars for positioning).