PDA

View Full Version : Computer - Major Slowdown

MrWoollie
17th Jul 2005, 15:17
I have computer with AMD64 3400+, 1024MB, 128MB ATI, WINXP Home - a not exceptional but reasonable system.

Sat 16th July all changed. Normally takes about 15secs to get to the user choice screen and about another thirty seconds to fully start up. When started on Sat all was ok - on return from shopping all was wrong.

Initially I got a message that my last reboot had failed and would I like to try either a Normal or Last Known Good or Safe boot. No matter what I tried it went back to the same process - last failed, would you like to try.... Could not get XP to start.

Eventually performed a T-Clone original restore to the purchase config, then restored from my last backup. Same problem when last backup was performed.

Did T-Clone again and have been trying to rebuild from scratch i.e WIN XP SP2, ISP build, Norton IS (where I am now). The problem is that takes nearly forever to boot and has done so through each restore (4) and each addition. If I reboot now it takes about 3 minutes to get to the Windows XP screen with the running blue bar. The running bar runs across 97 times before screen blanks (as a comparison my laptop which used to take three times as long to boot due to slower CPU etc has <20 blue bars before starting and now boots in 10% of the time of the desktop). After the screen blanks I get 5 mins of blankness and then the user choice. After choosing it still takes another 5-7mins to start.

Virus - am running Norton with all updates. Have run full scan. Have also run full scan from McAfee and Kapersky - no viruses.

Have also looked at CPU and disk usage and both spend far more time asleep than working during startup.

Have run Tuneup utils and all appears fine.

There is clearly something major wrong but nothing gets reported.

Need help here!

MrW

timmcat
17th Jul 2005, 18:16
Initial thoughts after reading your post twice is a dying hard drive. You could also try a 'Hijack This' analysis (see sticky above).

Anyone else like to offer an opinion?

Conan the Librarian
17th Jul 2005, 19:03
Try a nice little freeware proggie called "End it all" It recognises and shuts down everything apart from the absolute basics. It will help isolate your problem further I should think.

Good luck,

Conan

None of the above
19th Jul 2005, 05:24
Biscuit Chucker..............

I've found it here: http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm

Hope that helps.

N o t a

Conan the Librarian
19th Jul 2005, 12:57
Sorry for not getting back sooner - was at the Air Tattoo and was rushing around with that. NOTA has extracted you from the sticky with "End it all" and my thanks go to him for providing you with timely assistance.

How is it going?

Conan

Background Noise
23rd Jul 2005, 21:02
Ditto, from about the same date - noticeably slower.

MrWoollie
26th Jul 2005, 18:27
Thanks all.

Hard drive - dying, dying, dead.

Only bad news was when sent in they gave me a new D: as well as C: (yes they were two physical drives!). The old one had my music and backups on. Am trying to regain it now.

MrW