PDA

View Full Version : Baggage security tags

uffington sb
17th Jul 2005, 13:31
My daughter and flatmate are off to Bali at the end of the month. Now they're bothsensible girls, but bearing in mind the recent case of the ozzie girl/Bali/drugs etc, is there anything on the market that would make her baggage tamper proof, but still acceptable for airport security?
Any advice gratefully received by myself and Mrs Uffers.

B Sousa
17th Jul 2005, 14:26
I see folks still having there bags shrink wrapped. That certainly helps if you can get it trough.
As to:"the recent case of the ozzie girl/Bali/drugs etc," I have been out of touch for a while as last I heard she was found guilty. Other stories mentioned that she and her friends were just "casual users". Any more rumors out there......or could it be a load of dope to pay for the vacation.......seems it may be a long one.........

apaddyinuk
17th Jul 2005, 14:50
Another good one is Zip Fasteners around the locks. Easy to break open by security of they need to look inside but at least you know that if it comes off the belt without them, then you go straight to customs and tell them that is has been tampered with and you would prefer if they opened it!

Fernando_Covas
17th Jul 2005, 16:52
You can lock the zips together if you choose but all you need is a pen to undo the zip without even touching the pad lock;)

Best way is to buy a hard shell case and try and find some anti-tamper stickers that leave "VOID" on the case when pealed off. Attach them over the combination lock and you will know if it has been tampered with.

VP8
17th Jul 2005, 18:16
I have some aircraft security seal stickers if you want.

VEEPS:ok:

uffington sb
17th Jul 2005, 19:09
Thanks for the info all.
VP8, MidRad was the best radar unit by far. Of course I'm a bit biased as I was only stationed at Norf Fluffenham., which isn't too far from Uffington SB (signal Box).

PA28Viking
20th Jul 2005, 08:23
Sealing the luggage will only tell YOU if somebody has had a hand inside. To convince security that it was not your hand you need something more solid. A hardcase with a lockable strap around is also now safeguard, but will may make the offender skip your luggage and move on to another one.

The Viking

RatherBeFlying
22nd Jul 2005, 18:30
PacSafe (http://www.pac-safe.com/product.aspx?pId=644) makes cable mesh bags for securing backpacks and other luggage against surreptitious cutting open etc. I think any smart international SLF would load his items into clear plastic bag inside said PacsSafe and wrap same with the clear heavy duty plastic bags available at checkin for backpacks so that straps etc do not catch in the conveyor equipment.

No drug smuggler will want to sneak in his package when it's visible for all to see.

plans123
29th Jul 2005, 19:35
I use these (TSA Locks) very good for baggage.

TSA Locks (http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/tsa_luggage_locks.html)

:ok: