PDA

View Full Version : Malta

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
17th Jul 2005, 12:03
Can anyone please give me some info on the helicopter world in Malta ? Is there a local industry there, and if so what do they do, i.e. is it tourism/sightseeing etc or is there any "industrial" flying ?

Any knowledge/wisdom much appreciated.

Cheers,

NEO.

B Sousa
17th Jul 2005, 12:59
Search this site for posts. I do remember a big stink last year about some operator in Malta, however it was to do with fixed wing. Its a small place so Im sure those posts apply also.
Good Luck

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
17th Jul 2005, 13:30
Thanks Bert, already did that. Couldn't find anything about actual companies and what they do.

I'll keep my fingers crossed there is someone out there who can enlighten me.

Cheers anyway:ok:

NEO

Jez
17th Jul 2005, 14:22
Sailed into Malta last week and saw a Bell 412 flying around. Looked like joyflights by the track and number of flights.

Machine also had external pods mounted to the skids.

For what it is worth :}

212man
17th Jul 2005, 14:31
There used to be a shuttle to Gozo by Mil-8. I think one of the pilots was the one shot down in Iraq recently. Your best port of call would be a certain ex marine (cracked B-212 Tang in PH...) who I'm sure has an intimate knowledge of the scene.

Cheers.

check
17th Jul 2005, 15:18
The 412 you refer to belongs to Helicopteros del Sureste and does the malta - Gozo shuttle, plus any other flying it can. The pods on the side are for baggage.

Anne Tenner
18th Jul 2005, 22:09
I just got back from Malta today. For what it's worth, there must be quite a bit of demand, because it was was buzzing back and forth all day over the St George's bay area on the North East coast. I don't know whether that was for the shuttle or for joy rides, but given the frequency I suspect the latter.

matador
19th Jul 2005, 16:21
It's already been said. A 412 from Helicopteros del Sureste ( A Spanish company) won the contract for the flights that was been made by Mi 8´s before.
Buen vuelo.

UwantME2landWHERE!
20th Jul 2005, 22:46
I have also seen a B47 flying around the St Paul’s bay area.

Probably just private flying, although I did see it on a couple of occasions last week!

Aser
25th Jul 2005, 18:48
Nigerian Expat Outlaw:
There isn't a local helicopter industry in Malta , the Armed Forces of Malta have Aloute III and Bell47.
I'm flying the 412 there , so if you want drop me an email.
;)

Best regards.
Aserhttp://storage.msn.com/x1pnp_rgmi5o50nPlMIMPNA2AQP4eY1-g_6g4-4ribPcTZHdYvkoZM3lf6e-es3BEBDg2OokDZpBCixHV519erDeYClGnuFRRg6

WhirlyGirl Sarah
26th Jul 2005, 07:50
I get over to Malta quite frequently (as my family hails from there). There is one Bell 412, which is, as someone pointed out operated by Helisureste, which does the Malta-Gozo service (took over from the two mi-8's) and there are also two Alouettes which are operated by the goverenment. These are sometime seen along the coast and assist with looking for missing people etc.

There used to be a Bell 47 but I believe this one has gone abroad now. Apart from this there is no real helicopter scene over there and certainly no flight training organisation for helicopters. Shame really! If I had the money I would take an R44 over there and give my grandmother a wizz round the island!! ;)

Regards,

WGS

http://energymusic.co.uk/helicopters/maltahelismall.jpg
The Old Mi-8 Helicopter

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
26th Jul 2005, 09:40
Thanks very much WGS and Aser, I think a trip for a recce is in order !!

NEO