PDA

View Full Version : Wireless ADSL modem router trouble

GMS
17th Jul 2005, 08:16
I have just connected a Safecom SWAMR 54108 Wireless ADSL Modem Router to my desktop after much hard work. I have set it up for WPA wireless security and also activated the Enable Access List function, my laptop details are here and it connects very well to the network.

My problem is that when I start the desktop it, the desktop, does not connect to the network and therefore does not go online. I get a message “Limited or no connectivity-You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to this computer”.

In order to get round this connection problem I right click the LAN taskbar icon, select disable, then enable, and I connect to the internet/network.

I can only assume the problem is as stated above, ie that the network did not assign a network address to my desktop.

I have tried everything I can think of to solve this but I am fighting a loosing battle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GMS

bladewashout
17th Jul 2005, 10:20
Sometimes this happens to me.

You can get around it simply by assigning a permanent address on your router to the MAC (hardware) address of your computer - this should be possible in the DHCP settings screens, using information available from the router once your connection is established.

Then you can permanently assign an address on the machine itself on the connection settings.

That way whether you use DHCP or allow the hardware address to be permanently set, you will always be using the same address and no other device will take it.

Its not ideal but it will definitely fix the problem.

BW