PDA

View Full Version : Instructing in the sun

birdaman
16th Jul 2005, 13:32
Hi there. I am currently training to become an instructor, well hour building at the moment, And would like to instruct somewhere a little hotter than the uk. Firstly could someone tell me if the uk licence converts to places like spain mallorca etc. ? And secondly are there many instructor jobs out there abroad, any ideas on a good place to start.

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

By the way the name does not imply a sex change.:ok:

thecontroller
16th Jul 2005, 14:06
a jaa licence is valid anywhere in europe. although without speaking the foreign language, i expect chances would be slim of finding work

after doing the faa licences, you could instruct in the usa if you had a usa work visa, or went there on a j1 student exchange visa. without a work visa, chances are next to nil.

i suggest you do a search on this forum, theres plenty of advice regarding traning abroad

SASless
16th Jul 2005, 15:19
Get the FAA licenses, fly to Mexico, roll up yer britches...wade the Rio Grande, get your US drivers license, give a bogus Social Security number....say squat about being a Brit....and go to work.

The Border is wide open.....come on over....seems like half of Mexico does that nowadays.

thecontroller
16th Jul 2005, 16:13
is it really that easy? i thought you needed a passport/visa to get a legitimate usa drivers licence?

plus... i think the accent/skin colour might be a dead giveaway

ThomasTheTankEngine
16th Jul 2005, 19:06
I’m from the UK and have a UK issued JAA CPL(H) with FI rating. I instructed for 4 years in the UK and then moved to another JAA member state where I’ve been instructing for 4 years. Normally your JAA licence should be excepted but you really need to check this where your planning on going. The other thing is language most schools like you to speak there language but if your prepared to learn they might give you a chance (Someone gave me a chance) One more thing on language's being able to talk and have a general conversation in another language or giving instruction are two separate things, Giving instruction and talking about POF and flying subjects is much more difficult, This will take a lot longer to learn so be patient.

The Ferret
17th Jul 2005, 02:59
You are quite right Mr Controller - it is not that easy! The first item the authorities ask for when you are stood in line waiting to take your driving test is your passport, visa and supporting documents - so the only "legitimate" way of acquiring a US driving licence is to hold valid immigration documentation.

Florida is nice and warm and a good place to instruct if you can get a visa!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Gerhardt
17th Jul 2005, 13:51
SAS was just having some fun. Good luck in finding an instructing gig in a warmer climate!

Martin1234
17th Jul 2005, 18:40
http://www.sloanemallorca.com/

vivadavinci
17th Jul 2005, 21:11
Bear in mind if you do the FI in the uk taking advantage of the 50 hour total time reduction you rating will not be valid in other JAA states as it is only the uk that has this difference.

Whether your rating will become valid when you get to to 300 (or 300 + 30 hrs fi course) i don't know.

South Africa has some demand for Jaa instructors, employment restrictions for foreigners very restrictive, but the operator don't seem to care.

As with most things in life - don't get caught!

birdaman
18th Jul 2005, 16:02
Thanx a lot for all your replies. I kinda thought a language would be a help. More studying.