PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go?

philltowns
20th Dec 2001, 22:49
*AMATEUR ALERT...AMATEUR ALERT*

Hey all,

I'm on the 2nd year of the Aerospace Systems Engineering degree in the UK, and need to do a placement year next year. The careers office at my Uni is poo, and it's getting worringly close to the time when it'll be too late.

I'd really like to spend my placement in the USA, but the UK's still fine.

Does anyone have anyone recommendations on places to try (apart from the obvious - BAe, Lockheed, etc), or know of any US places that offer 'internships' to internatial students.

Hope you can help

Phill Towns

Genghis the Engineer
21st Dec 2001, 13:51
I would try the smaller companies. The experience you'll get in a short time in a little company is far greater than in a big company. My initial suggestions would (in no particular order) be in the UK:-

Britten Norman, Isle of Wight
Pegasus Aviation, Marlborough
Slingsby, Kikbymoorside
Mainair, Rochdale
PFA, Shoreham
Europa, also Kirkbymoorside
Southdown, Lasham

You'll find all of them in the phone book, and all have potential.

Incidentally, you could get hold of a CAA document called "CAP 475" from Westward Documedia (01242-235151) which lists every CAA approved company in the UK, and use that as a contact list.

Outside the UK, try Piper and Aerovironment, which might be good bets in sunny bits of the USA.

G

[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: Genghis the Engineer ]</p>

jbc2001
26th Dec 2001, 07:53
I agree with Genghis - small is good.
Also across the pond (in British North America aka Canada) Bombardier Aerospace (de Havilland Canada, Canadair & Learjet)has a co-op programme which takes in students either for the Summer hols or part-time during the year. If your specialty is aerostructures/mechanical/production engineering, they also own Shorts which designs & manufactures most of their fuselages & nacelles.
Punching in "J. Armand Bombardier Foundation" into your favourite search engine may also help.