PDA

View Full Version : North Sea Wx Info

GusHoneybun
16th Jul 2005, 11:02
Chap(ette)s,

As a fisheries protection pilot, my job takes me all over the north sea and north atlantic. Most days involves at least one transit through rig country, be it the shetland basis, piper field or even the good old foinhaven. The problem we have is that apart from calling the rigs radio room on the telephone each morning, we don't have access to any weather from the rigs. I have found on the met office site that there are two norweigan rigs that provide weather info, the gullfax and the frigg (engc and enfr). What I was wondering is whether (sic!) there was any other way of obtaining weather info on the rigs.

Oh, and I would also like to thank all you fling wing guys and gals who end up relaying the aberdeen/sumburgh RT messages to the watchdog aircraft when we are at low level. It is appreciated.

simfly
16th Jul 2005, 13:03
If you're ever in the east shetland basin, call me up on 129.95 (shell log) and I'd be happy to give you the weather. Always someone at the desk, unlike on the installations where the radio op could be busy doing the laundry or running the shop!

Blind
16th Jul 2005, 15:41
Exofisk has automated Wx which we get at the end of the TAF's on MIST, but this is probably too far South for you.

Beryl gives reliable Wx but again you'd have to rely on phone/RT. Don't trust any platform where the Radio Op wants to get on a chopper to the Beach!!!