PDA

View Full Version : Information On Pan Am Flight Academy

jamielatham
16th Jul 2005, 10:47
Hi;

I am looking into training at Pan Am International Flight Academy (http://www.panamacademy.com/)

I would need to get an M-1 Visa, but that I shouldnt think cause a problem,

But the question, Is the academy gerarally good? I would do the 'Carrer Pilot Program (http://www.panamacademy.com/career.asp/) '...

Any Information would be great!

Thanks

Jay

P.S

If you have been their and done this type of training... How much did you apporoximatly spend, without intruding into privacy!

B2N2
16th Jul 2005, 12:22
Had a look at theiw website, couldn't find any prices.
But I know they are expensive, same league as Flight Safety and Delta Connection.
Why do you want to got to PanAm, why spend such an insane amount of money?
There are plenty of other options for half the price.
You can get your FAA PPL-IR-CPL-ME
at other places with good equipment( or better) for $40,000.
The fact that these big schools spend a fortune on advertising in Europe doesn't mean they are the only ones or the best.
The advantages of these big schools:
They take care of everything;
-Visa
-Housing etc etc.
But you pay through the nose for all of that.
They do nothing extra that you cannot organize on your own and safe a bundle.
You also do not qualify for their Job placement because you are not a US citizen. (I presume)
Nothing personal and I do not want to generalize too much but what worries me about a lot of wannabee's is their lack of research and perseverance.
First school they come across with glossy advertising they go for.
You are about to make a very important career decision here.
Keep it mind that it doesn't matter for a future employer where you did your training.
Flying jets is such a totally different world, they couldn't care less whether you did your MEP on a PanAm Seminole or not.
Feel free to PM if you like more info.

psmd0311
16th Jul 2005, 13:09
I agree

Pan am is too expensive. That’s why they don’t put their prices on the web. I know 4 people who have been there, 3 did the professional course. They all did say the training was very good, and the standards set were high. But all came out thinking they had spent way too much money, and wouldn’t do it again. They were promised that pan am would help them find a job after their training. That didn’t happen, except being taken on as an instructor. Which is good, but not when you only get between 20 hours a month.

So the training is good, the planes are good, and its double the price. There are plenty of schools that can get you a visa and arrange accommodation. Just start looking.

i spent about $28,000 from 0 to CFI and MEI, that was training and accomodation about 2 years ago. I bet pan am is $70,000 +