PDA

View Full Version : Quick turnarounds

philip2004uk
16th Jul 2005, 08:54
I have been into aircraft all my life and work at the airport and i always get the feeling of being safer on a long haul flight than a quick short flight on a low cost airline, and i think it's because of the quick turnaround as with long haul they have more time to check everything and the plane gets a good rest(if that makes a difference).

No_Speed_Restriction
16th Jul 2005, 09:00
I see your point.What would you class as a quick turnaround?

philip2004uk
16th Jul 2005, 09:04
Like 30 mins but then i am probably looking at how old the aircraft are.

No_Speed_Restriction
16th Jul 2005, 09:08
quite standard in the industry.I always think a good turnaround is as effective as your ground staff. Whether its 30 or 45 mins if your ground staff arent qualified to do the job, it doesnt make a difference how long it takes.

philip2004uk
16th Jul 2005, 09:19
That's good then. do you think that there is a bit more safety on long hauls at least in the fact that the planes have less workload on them.

Flightmech
16th Jul 2005, 09:43
I'd say the "plane getting a good rest" is irrelevant. From experience, the reliability of the more modern software-driven aircraft is better when they're powered/flying all the time. It's when they're on the ground for a day or two and you then power it up from cold that the problems normally start!

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Jul 2005, 11:52
Philip - If you are going to experience the extremely unlikely occurrence of a flight that suffers a serious mechanical malfunction then do you want to be within 30 mins of a commercial airport or thousands of miles out over the Pacific/Atlantic/PolarCap/Himalayas?

Quick turnarounds are limited more by pax handling than by any rushing on behalf of the flightdeck. For the flightdeck if more time is needed then more time is used and nevermind the schedule.

Its not really an issue. Its also neither a rumour or a piece of news so expect this thread to be moved shortly,

Cheers

Mark Noble
16th Jul 2005, 16:26
How do the LH planes get more of a rest when they're doing 12 hour + flights whereas for example, a new FR 738 will be parked up overnight???

philip2004uk
16th Jul 2005, 16:48
in relation to the longhaul that your saying how can a flight thats going 12 hours. i was just thinking of a certain flight that goes to newyork and sits there for 5 hours. i was only asking people because i was worried sorry.

girtbar
16th Jul 2005, 19:35
it sounds like you just dont like to fly, i think what ever is said here its not going to dispell any of your fears?!

If the Long haul jet gets to NY after flying for 6/7 hours sits on the ground for 5, its back in the air again flying 6/7 hours before getting to sit on the ground again for 5 hours.

The LoCo jet has just done 10 1hr legs 10 hours total flying and is then but to bed over night until around 5am (generally the first flight time) So its only flew for approx 10 hours and had plenty of rest compared to the Long haul jet!

Aircraft are all designed to fly like this, this is what they were constructed to do, and do they have been doing for the last few decades.

As crew with a LoCo the turnarounds are completed each day, its quick yes but we are able to turnaround the cabin very quickly with out cutting corners, we often find our self finished before bags have been loaded and are often delayed by the ground crew.
If we find something we dont like then we speak up. I have never flown (knowingly) on an aircraft that was substandard and nor will i!! I have a home to go to and a life to lead!

Dont get confused with the term Low Cost = low maintenance low standards of engineering, low security.

Low cost means your not paying for a "free" meal on board, a newspaper at the gate or crew wearing highly desirable desiger made uniforms!!

EasyJets average aircraft age is approaching 2.5 years old, one of the youngest fleets anywhere in Europe! Some 747's Dc-10's and others have been for 20+ years!!!

In short Flying is Flying is................

................Flying!!

<--GB-->

Mark Noble
17th Jul 2005, 01:12
Philip - didn't mean you to think I was being short with you.

If you're worried about flying...don't! The most dangerous bit is driving to the airport.

philip2004uk
17th Jul 2005, 18:50
That's ok it was just that some people might have thought i was dising the quickturnaround.

PilotsPal
18th Jul 2005, 10:57
I have a recollection of someone telling me how when he worked for GO, he once did a turnaround in 9 minutes (I think he may have mentioned that he only had a dozen or so passengers to deal with......).

Maude Charlee
19th Jul 2005, 14:29
If DFT scrutiny of lo-co turnarounds at NCL recently is anything to go by, I suspect we might be close to seeing the end of scheduled 20 and 25 minute turnarounds. Not one aircraft was checked to the DFT's satisfaction within the scheduled TR time, and a certain Irish lo-co's lack of any security paperwork is bound to be a discussion point for their management sometime soon.

No reflection on the crews - they do what the company tells them to do.