PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus, Flag Of Convenience

WANDERLUST
16th Jul 2005, 08:47
A New company 'Air Universal' is starting now in Cyprus with 2 - 4 B747-200. Currently doing proving flights. This is an offshoot of a company in Jordan. The European (51%) ownership is on paper only. This company is Jordanian owned. All that is really okay but the problen arises as the crews are mostly from Iran, Jordan, Lebanon and a few Greeks. The FOM is Greek.
How will all these crews receive validations or JAA license?
Why did they never advertise for European crew members?
If a foreign (non European) national forms a European company at least they should be forced to hire European nationals if available.
The UK CAA is the processing authority for this new airline.
I hope they will have proper oversight.

WANDERLUST
16th Jul 2005, 08:58
Cyprus does issue AOC's. They come under the umbrella of the UK CAA.

mtogw
16th Jul 2005, 10:22
JJ flyer, I take offence at the tone of your reply, check your history on the relationship between the UK and Cyprus, as nations, and read Wanderlusts post, it said
The UK CAA is the processing authority for this new airline

Now does that say they issued it???

And while we are on the subject,,
Please tell, what is wrong with the UK CAA, as far as I am aware they are one of the best in the world, you obviousy think not, justify your remark.

Wanderlust, I agree with you to a certain degree, but there is nothing wrong with flags of convience, the major problem is that they also tend to be used by people who consequently abuse the system badly...

Some countries are almost impossible to get an AOC in so you may be forced to use the method of flag of convenience so you can conduct your business..

JJflyer
16th Jul 2005, 14:25
I stand corrected on the issue of AOC and removed my post. However UK CAA certainly not one of the best in the world. There are far better run civil aviation departments in EU. I am pleased that I do not have to deal with UK CAA at all anymore.

Hotel Tango
16th Jul 2005, 15:36
We often hear about French and German arrogance, but what about us Brits? We really believe we're the best don't we. Let's face it, what can all those bloody foreigners teach us? Tell you what: we're not that brilliant. Granted, you need to live outside the island to realise that.

PIA747
16th Jul 2005, 17:31
If a foreign (non European) national forms a European company at least they should be forced to hire European nationals if available.

How do you justify Europeans working for airliners in Asia and the Middle East. You need to come out of your narrow mind thinking. Most European carriers discrminate against non-EU nationals, if Air Universal can do it right and provide the jobs then whats the problem?

They will probably work on validations, just like AAI has been doing for years. And i see nothing wrong in that.

JJflyer
16th Jul 2005, 18:15
There are a lot of Europeans working for companies around the world. However in most cases there is either a shortage of qualified nationals or something to that effect that forces a company to hire expats.

I wholeheartedly agree with WANDERLUST that Air Universal, should it become a EU carrier needs to hire EU citizens, if there are qualified individuals available before hiring non-nationals.

JJ

PIA747
16th Jul 2005, 18:22
Air Universal requires experienced B747 Classic flight crew. There is a shortage of this breed in Europe and that is why AAI accepts all nationalities.

Fetch some good time on the whale and there is no reason they will not accept you. This is not discrimination, just a matter of demand and supply. Contacts are on their website, fire an application today!

Earl
16th Jul 2005, 20:34
Probably someone with little or no time on type causing the rucas here.
Hope the company makes it!

WANDERLUST
16th Jul 2005, 21:13
No, I do not need a job - got a good one now.
I have no problem with 'flags of conv.' My only problem with the operation is that they should offer jobs to EU nationals first. There are many available on the market. Not everyone wants to join Air Atlanta for whatever reason and therefore many B747 classic crews are still available.

Yes, there are many EU crews working overseas - but only when there are no qualified locals available.

The first responce to my initial post was a bit off. You presumed that I am English and that I infered that the UK CAA were the best.

I hope that in your occupation you do not come to so wrong conclusions. Under the JAA the authorities are more or less on a par with each other.

There was NO intent in my post to presume that one CAA or group of people are better than another. I guess that is the way your mind must work.

PIA747
16th Jul 2005, 22:28
whats the age limit for Cyprus? is it 65 like Iceland?

411A
17th Jul 2005, 10:00
<<How will all these crews receive validations or JAA license?
Why did they never advertise for European crew members?>>

It would indeed appear that WANDERLUST has not been paying attention.

Oddly enough, Air Universal advertised on climbto350 for JAR licensed B747 crew in June, together with folks wanted, with JAR licenses, for maintenance and managment positions.

Live and learn, eh?:sad:

ALLDAYDELI
17th Jul 2005, 18:49
Air Universal, pax or freighter?

747fanatic
17th Jul 2005, 20:03
Its a pax charter operator. Their fleet consists of two B747-200s and two L1011s.

Stratocaster
18th Jul 2005, 09:31
They seem to have operated a Tristar for about a year (reg. 9L-). Where does this company come from ? Did they have a Jordanian AOC before ?

747fanatic
18th Jul 2005, 15:34
They operate on the Sierra Leone AOC. The Jordanian AOC never came through due to domestic politics.

WANDERLUST
18th Jul 2005, 20:53
I understand that they will operate 4x 747 under the Cyprus AOC and leave the 1011's where they are.
As far as advertising the positions vacant, remember that climb350 is for paying members only and that not everyone subscribes to it.
If you are looking for Europeans in general then you would most likely advertise in Flight or in another aviation magazine if you are looking for specific nationals or use a company like Parc.
Regarding validations they are suposed to be issued on a Onetime deal for six months. Exceptions can be made but only for an extra six months for a maximum of one year.

747fanatic
18th Jul 2005, 21:39
Regarding validations they are suposed to be issued on a Onetime deal for six months. Exceptions can be made but only for an extra six months for a maximum of one year.

I guess that explains ICAO and FAA licensed crews flying for years with Air Atlanta Icelandic.

Pilot001
19th Jul 2005, 09:08
Air Universal advertised on local newspapers for JAR licensed B747 crew sometime ago.

Regards

747fanatic
19th Jul 2005, 14:25
Pilot001

I believe you are based in Cyprus. Can you confirm Air Universal at Larnaca?

SyncMaster
19th Jul 2005, 16:01
Very soon several No-EU countries will join the European Common Aviation Area via the so called MultiLateral Agreement between them and EU and they will effectivelly became instantly EU mamber states as far as the aviation rights are concerned including free access to the market and right of incorporation of companies.
There will be many new airlines operaing in the EU airspace from those countries soon.

Pilot001
21st Jul 2005, 11:08
747fanatic

Yes, Air Universal will be based in Larnaca-Cyprus. They should be operating by the end of September

They will register a total of 4 747-200 for the time being under Cypriot AOC.
I am wondering what kind of traffic research they have done-if any.

What's the range of a fully loaded 742 and what is the distance required for take (40°C)?

Regards

PIA747
21st Jul 2005, 14:02
I dont think they need to do any traffic research. There is enormous pottential in Europe, which they were unable to tap earlier.
This year a spanish company hired them to fly tourists from Madrid to Varadero, but the Spanish authorities did not accept the Sierra Leone AOC.

Kraut
21st Jul 2005, 18:21
@ HOTEL TANGO

We often hear about French and German arrogance, but what about us Brits? We really believe we're the best don't we. Let's face it, what can all those bloody foreigners teach us? Tell you what: we're not that brilliant. Granted, you need to live outside the island to realise that.

Are you realy a brit?
:D

Hotel Tango
21st Jul 2005, 19:57
Are you realy a brit?

Absolutely! But one that works alongside Europeans of many different nationalities on mainland Europe. I even discovered that Germans do have a sense of humour too :eek: :D

747fanatic
23rd Jul 2005, 05:45
ordan's Air Universal plans European sister carrier
Victoria Moores, London (22Jul05, 16:24 GMT, 410 words)

Jordanian-based charter and wet-lease operator Air Universal is planning to set-up a new long-haul Cypriot carrier under the same name.

Privately-owned Air Universal was established in January 2002. It owns two Lockheed L-1011s and a pair of ex-Lufthansa Boeing 747-200s, which its deploys on ad hoc wet-lease to airlines including Saudi Arabian Airlines, Pakistan International Airlines, Libyan Arab Airlines and Sudan Airways.

Chairman and CEO Talal Abu Reyal is planning to start a Cypriot Air Universal sister carrier, which will use a fleet of two-class Boeing 747s. “Cyprus is at the crossroads between east and west, north and south so it is strategically located. It is feasible to connect east with west,” he says.

The Cypriot arm of Air Universal is slated to begin charter and wet-lease operations from September, ahead of its scheduled debut next summer. It expects to carry 500,000-750,000 passengers in 2006 and requires around $120-150 million in funding, which Abu Reyal says he has secured from internal investors and loans.

Initially Abu Reyal plans to offer scheduled links between West Africa and the Gulf, via Larnaca, but he lists Nigeria, the Ivory Coast, Saudi Arabia, Latin America, Pakistan, India, southeast Asia, northern Europe and Australia as other potential destinations. Finalisation of the routes will depend on Cyprus’ bilateral deals.

“In those markets we don’t believe that there is a current operator serving the market. We believe that there is a need for newcomers,” he says.

To support his plans Abu Reyal claims to have secured a further four Boeing 747-200s. Two ex-Lufthansa examples will join the Air Universal fleet in August and September, while the remaining two will arrive from Japan’s All Nippon Airways (ANA) in October and early December.

While the L-1011s will remain in Jordan and will ultimately be replaced with Boeing 767s or Airbus A300-600s, a number of the 747s will be moved to the Cypriot register to support the airline’s new, main focus of operation. Air Universal’s Boeing fleet is maintained by KLM.

Abu Reyal says that the carrier is also planning to operate freight aircraft from next year. “If we don’t buy freighters we will convert some of our fleet,” he says.

While the sister carriers will co-operate closely, he says they are “completely independent” of one another. The new operation will have its headquarters in Larnaca and will employ mainly Cypriot and European staff. Abu Reyal says that the carrier will seek partnerships with local operators such as Cyprus Airways.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Stratocaster
24th Jul 2005, 15:45
Alzheimer permitting, I think Air Universal was banned in the UK, wasn'it ?

Anybody knows why or when ?

PIA747
24th Jul 2005, 17:33
Yes Air Universal was banned in the UK for maintainence reasons.

I believe one of the reasons they got this AOC is bacause maintainence of their Boeings is handled by KLM.

Cathar
24th Jul 2005, 18:02
Air Universal remains banned by the UK as do all Sierra Leone registered aircraft and airlines. I think that the UK ban is more to do with the Sierra Leone's regulatory standards than Air Universal's maintenance standards. It also appears that DfT take the view that as the airline is based in Jordan, Sierra Leone should not be issuing it with an AOC as this is contrary to Annex 6 to the Chicago Convention.

Of course this ban will not affect the new Cypriot airline.

Stratocaster
24th Jul 2005, 20:43
I think the UK CAA blacklist contains two categories. One deals with countries, the other deals with specific airlines failing to meet requirements.

According to the BBC, Air Universal falled into the second category (i.e. ban not country-related): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3373603.stm

Cathar
24th Jul 2005, 21:21
The BBC report is based on information contained in the answer to a written parliamentary question which can be found Hansard (http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200304/cmhansrd/vo040108/text/40108w02.htm#40108w02.html_sbhd8). As you will see the reason for the Air Universal ban is given as "Adverse ramp inspection findings and lack of response from Sierra Leone authorities." Since then DfT have gone on to ban all Sierra Leone airlines as can be seen from the DfT Website (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_aviation/documents/page/dft_aviation_026674.hcsp)

My understanding is the problem mainly related to the oversight capabilities of Sierra Leone and improperly issued AOCs.

PIA747
24th Jul 2005, 22:22
Prior to accepting an aircraft on the Cyprus register, DCA requests UK CAA under contractual arrangements to carry out the inspections and submit to the DCA their reports, on the basis of which it may be decided to register the aircraft or not.

Thereafter, the same procedure is followed, before the DCA can accept Issue or renewal of C of A 's, and issue or renewal of Air Operators Certificates.