PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Cannabis Detection

rotorque
16th Jul 2005, 00:19
Would you accept the associated risks as a normal person with or without family for the position advertised below:

Expressions of interest requested,
Publicly funded aerial cannabis crop detection for the state of _______

Aerial Cannabis Crop Detection (Pilot)
_________________ _______ Pty Ltd

Requires helicopter pilot for permanent full-time position to perform pilot and associated duties onboard rotary aircraft for the specific role of cannabis crop detection.

Selection criteria:
• Current CPL(H)
• Appropriate ratings/endorsements as required to act as PIC of rotary wing aircraft
• 500 hrs PIC rotary wing aircraft of which 200 hrs turbine
• Low level flying experience (rotary or fixed wing)
• Sling endorsement
• Fixed wing components an advantage.

Background:
With the increasing demand from the public and political figures with regard to the criminal use and supply of cannabis, a proposal has been approved for the use of aerial detection of cannabis crops and the public display of such sites (co-ordinates) on the internet. The proposal accounts for the fact that if the location of a cannabis crop is displayed in a public forum the criminal element will deem the crop to be compromised, possibly resulting in police surveillance or “theft” of plants by other criminal elements increasing intelligence gathering.

Note: As this position is provided by a non government agency, risks have been identified to individuals and aircraft conducting cannabis crop detection. An information pack is provided to those applicants deemed suitable.

Inquiries: Chief Pilot ___________
Application marked confidential to:
…………………………………………………………

I believe that this job is publicly funded…!!! Must be some seriously disgruntled parents out there.
I’ve got some questions…….

1. Would you do it?
2. Would you help pay for this kind of service as a parent?
3. Are the “risks” really that high with regards to “payback”

What are your thoughts

zrxovertorque
16th Jul 2005, 00:26
Where do I find a copy of the add ?

I'm interested..............

moosp
16th Jul 2005, 01:22
I spoke to a guy in NSW who used to do this freelance when the police used to pay you the value of the crop that you called in. A nice little earner. Apparently POL does it now.

Most of the patches are out in the National Park and not monitored by the crims, so most of the time it would be pretty safe from ground fire. He was only shot at once, and that was from a big organised crime patch that was set up with claymores and AK47 armed guards.

Might get a bit problematic if a couple of heavies arrive at midnight and ask if you are the pilot of VH-XYZ.

A couple of days with a Bambi and a few hundred gallons of roundup would solve the problem for months, but I've heard that is not politically acceptable.

NZLeardriver
16th Jul 2005, 01:31
Knew a guy that did the spraying in parts of central america. He was the gunner in a caravan.... says it all I think.

Hidden Agenda
16th Jul 2005, 04:30
If the rewards a commensurate with the risks YES!!

Judging by the qualifications requested I would guess that either:

1. They are not, or
2. They do not think that the risks are very high.

It would be interesting to ask the operator's insurer of their assessment of the perceived risk.

psyclic
16th Jul 2005, 08:21
Detection of any drug related crime by helicopter can annoy the targets! Even in the UK it's a brave civilian who lets it known he flys a police chopper.

It doesnt have to be a visit by the heavies; a simple bottle of petrol through the letter box would get the message over well.

Even more interesting when you are advised, by the air observers you fly, which individuals you should not associate with in the area where you or your family lives!

Think of that if you are tempted by the Mets £50k !

TheFlyingSquirrel
16th Jul 2005, 08:39
I always adored this pic from 'Rotorheads Around the World'. Imagine if the engine caught fire to the plants? These boys would be on another planet !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/theflyingsquirrel/212CannLR.jpg

spinwing
17th Jul 2005, 03:00
I believe that the actual detection of that "dreaded weed" is now done by satallite looking for the appropriate IR spectrum. The destruction of what is found is then done by the appropriate "Policia".

And it is "friggin dangerous" work.

:eek:

mctavish
17th Jul 2005, 03:29
Dear Psyclic

QUOTE:

"Detection of any sort by helicopter can annoy the targets! Even in the UK it's a brave man who lets it known he flys a police chopper.

It doesnt have to be a visit by the heavies; a simple bottle of petrol through the letter box gets the message over well.

Even more interesting when you are advised, by your employer, which individuals you should not associate with in the area where you or your family lives!

Think of that if you are tempted by the Mets £50k !" UNQUOTE

Bit of reality here please!! (with a capital P) particularly after last weeks events in London & the work that is being undertaken by both police officers & civil staff.

If you can please PM me the details of ONE pilot who is flying or who has flown for the UK police & who has had his or his families personal safety threatend by "heavies" because his occupation is known then I will personally ensure that the matter is dealt with. It would also assist if you could provide me with the relevant reference numbers relating to these crimes to which you refer (which I assume were reported).

Please bear in mind that if it is as you suggest then what does that say about the 100,000's police officers and civil staff that are currently employed by UK Police Forces serving & protecting the public.

Your slant on life is one that I can't relate to and unless I hear from you I will have to assume that you are talking out of a place that rarely sees the sun.

Regards

McT

psyclic
17th Jul 2005, 17:49
Mctavish, I've edited my post.

R1Tamer
17th Jul 2005, 23:56
Pysclic

Without the "cohonas" it sounds like you need to get out of the kitchen. Maybe your just full of eflux. Either that or your observers find you an easy target to stick the willies up.

R1tamer

overpitched
18th Jul 2005, 00:12
I don't think the danger would be a problem. It is more likely that even if a group of individuals could get this type of operation up and running how long could they fund it and what would they be like to work for. It sounds a bit pie in the sky. Alright for a first job maybe but I wouldn't leave anywhere decent to apply for this one.

mctavish
18th Jul 2005, 19:39
psyclic

Thanks for that.

In your post (even after editing) you are effectively 'warning off' anyone thinking of working as a pilot in the Met Can you please explain what makes pilots such an exception?

There are 1,000s of 'civvies' supporting the police & doing their bit to protect & serve - including volunteers who don't even get paid. And they actually come in direct personal contact with those who you cause you such concern that you feel it necessary to be warning off anyone thinking of working for the police. AND they don't have the luxury of sitting 1,000' above all the muck, bullets and petrol bombs - they actually face physical dangers everytime they go out onto the streets.

I have to agree with R1Tamer - best you stick to the commercial side of aviation as you are unlikely to meet anyone there who is going to cause you to lose sleep (NOT).

I hope you've told the Met to poke their job!

Regards

McT

diethelm
18th Jul 2005, 20:39
This is brilliant.

Someone, who is not a government agency is going to look for pot and then post the location on the internet. Now all the kids will know where to go.

moosp
20th Jul 2005, 00:48
diethelm, yes I have to agree, I don't think this has been thought through on all the angles.

If I was a crim who had put a years worth of work and effort into my patches and saw the Lat/Long on the web I might be tempted to send one of the boys out on a Friday night with a night sight and a shot gun just in case. I can only see this method leading to further violence.

OFBSLF
20th Jul 2005, 16:24
night sight and a shot gunFriend, if you are close enough for a shotgun, then you certainly don't need a night sight.

moosp
20th Jul 2005, 22:27
Good point. I thought I sort of meant night scope or NVG device but it came out wrong. :O

Cyclic Hotline
21st Jul 2005, 04:12
21,000 pot plants found in state park campsites
Chuck Squatriglia, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

(07-20) 15:37 PDT Guerneville (SF Chronicle) -- State and county authorities discovered 21,000 marijuana plants they said are worth $63 million growing in 10 garden campsites in a state park near Guerneville, officials said today.

Investigators with the Sonoma County Narcotics Task Force and other agencies spent 10 hours Tuesday hiking to the camps -- which were scattered around the northeast corner of Armstrong Woods State Park -- cutting down the plants and removing them in nets suspended from a helicopter, said Sgt. Chris Bertoli of the Sonoma County Narcotics Task Force.

Bertoli said the plants were growing in at least 10 garden sites. In addition, deputies found at least half a dozen campsites stocked with food, stoves, sleeping bags and tents.

No arrests were made, and Bertoli said he believes anyone tending the camps fled when they heard the Campaign Against Marijuana Planting helicopter that carried the deputies into the area.

Many of the plants were growing in remote areas of the park, which covers some 6,000 acres, and narcotics officers spent as long as an hour hiking through dense vegetation to reach some of gardens, Bertoli said.

Tuesday’s seizure follows another in the same general area on July 1 that yielded 23,000 plants, Bertoli said. Narcotics agents are typically joined by a helicopter that performs an aerial search of the area to ensure no plants remain, but a helicopter was unavailable on July 1, Bertoli said. CAMP sent a chopper to survey the area last week, and the pilot "found canyon after canyon of grow sites," he said.

Bertoli said each plant typically yields about one pound of marijuana, which sells for $3,000.