PDA

View Full Version : Sacking of union chief final says Gulf Air

boeingdriverx
15th Jul 2005, 21:38
Hi everybody,

what is the story behind the story? has anybody a clue? As a fairly new joiner I would like to know more...

cheers!
BD

GULF Air yesterday defended its decision to sack the head of its trade union and said he would not be rehired.

The airline's public relations manager, Hisham Abulfateh, claimed Gulf Air Trade Union president Mohammed Salim's behaviour had been out of order.

"Mr Salim was first sacked last year for speaking to the Press on behalf of Gulf Air, something he was not authorised to do," he said.

"He could have spoken to the Press under the umbrella of the trade union, but he used it as a medium to badmouth the airline's management and was let go.

"We rehired him on humanitarian grounds because he had financial problems, including a housing loan to pay off, but it was on the strict condition that he did not speak to the Press or nominate himself for any position within the trade union.

"He disregarded both conditions."

The Gulf Air response followed a protest by union members, including Mr Salim, outside the airline's headquarters in Muharraq on Wednesday.

Mr Salim, who first worked at Gulf Air as a technician and then a librarian, said the quotes in the Press did not belong to him, but to the union's legal representative.

He also said the airline had no right to fire him for standing in the last trade union election, which was held last month.

"It is up to me if I want to nominate myself for a position in the union," he told the GDN. "I am still president of the union because my termination is illegal." Mr Salim also claims he was never given an official reason for his sacking.

ironbutt57
17th Jul 2005, 23:21
"Union"????????????? pay them $2.67 per month....almost get my money's worth!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: