PDA

View Full Version : Why do/did you want to be a pilot?

kobus
15th Jul 2005, 16:22
This question is for both aspiring pilots and real-world pilots.

What made you decide to become a pilot?

The sheer fun of it? The money? The hosties?

As for me, it's 99% the pleasure of flying, and the other 1% is probably the money, status, etc.

:ok:

ShyTorque
16th Jul 2005, 17:43
One day in the early 1960s at Farnborough airshow (I was 5 yrs old at the time) a Lightning took off, stood on it's tail and went vertical into a clear blue sky.

That did it for me. :ok:

Hahn
16th Jul 2005, 17:48
If I have to explain...you won“t understand anyway;) ;)

seriously: I was hooked after seeing Bob Hoovers show at the age of ??? ten, may be.

Playtime_fontayne
29th Jul 2005, 11:07
all the dials to look at!!

McLeod
29th Jul 2005, 12:08
....agreed, it is hard to explain. I remember being taken to airshows by my dad and deciding whilst at school that it is what I want to do and since then it has become a ceaseless passion. especially when I started to learn to fly! Now I am in the pits of despair because I can not fund further tuition to comercial level and am working in a :mad: job. V depressing :{ :mad:

What to do?
29th Jul 2005, 12:53
Hi

£'s

Cheers

The African Dude
29th Jul 2005, 13:21
Fascination with pushing buttons and twiddling switches, blinking lights and, of course, the view...

LOOP2STAND1
29th Jul 2005, 13:45
Likewise the buttons and lights got me! It was my first visit to the flightdeck on a trip from Johannesburg to Zurich. I was six at the time, the image is still clear to me now, and I get the same buzz when I take my seat on the flightdeck now.:E

worsmasjien
30th Jul 2005, 08:40
My dad took me to Cape town International to see the first landing of the 747 in CT, I think that was it. No more fun flying in Airlines though (at least not my current one), everybody are:uhoh: scared of Big Brother. Best fun are still choppers in the SAAF (well, used to be, don't think they fuel for fun anymore!)

Trash Hauler
30th Jul 2005, 09:05
Why I Want to be a Pilot
I want to be a pilot when I grow up because it is fun and easy to do.

Pilots don't need much school, they just have too learn numbers so they can read instruments.

I think they should be able to read maps so they can find their way if they get lost.

Pilots should be brave so they won't get scared if it's foggy and they can't see or if wing or motor falls off they should stay calm so they'll know what to do.

Pilots have to have good eyes so they can see through clouds and they cant be afraid of lightning or thunder because they are closer to them than we are.

Pilots are always rich, they make more money than they can spend. This is because most people think airplane flying is dangerous except pilots don't because they know how easy it is.

There isn't much I don't like, except girls like pilots and all the stewardesses want to marry them and they always have to chase them away so they wont bother them.

I hope I don't get airsick because if I do I couldn't be a pilot and would have to go to work