PDA

View Full Version : ASIC - why u might need two at what cost?

cogwheel
15th Jul 2005, 13:11
As a GA pilot on days off, I have the belief that I can use my employer issued card when so required... but perhaps not! Some employers I hear today are insisting on granting approval for its use outside duty times.

Does this mean some of us that may not get such approval will need two cards? Add this to the CASA photo ID and we start to have a collection. And then perhaps an national ID card as well as a passport.

How much do you pay for an ASIC?

One airport operator is charging $170 including a $50 deposit in case you loose it and another major airport is charging around $100. Why the big difference when one major operator is charging only $48 for employees and contractors. The price should be fixed by DoTRS at cost for non-commercial ops.

Where will it all end? When there is no GA left I guess.

Geeeez!!:mad:

chief wiggum
15th Jul 2005, 22:58
What sort of interest rate do you get on the $50 "Bond" ?

I mean it is held in trust" by the airport owner , aka the bank, and you will have it returned to you when you no longer need an ASIC.

So, where is the interest on this $50 that will be held for 45years ?

let me guess... the Airport owner gets it.

let's see.....

10,000 ASIC cards * $50 = $500,000

$500,000 * 4% = $20,000 per year

$20,000 per year * 40 years = $800,000, not including cumulated interest which I would imagine puts it up to 2.4 million!!!!!

so how AREN'T we getting screwed here ?

Ultralights
15th Jul 2005, 23:26
even with an unrestricted department of defence id, i still need a friggin asic!

i have long given up on GA.

Lasiorhinus
17th Jul 2005, 13:25
Why give up on GA, Ultralights?
It makes no difference whether you fly in to a 'secure' airport in a VH- registered aircraft or an ultralight, you'll still need an ASIC if you intend to leave the aircraft...

tinpis
17th Jul 2005, 21:56
Friggin' ATSIC got into aviation now?
Well there goes the neighbourhood..

Oh...oh..... A-S-I-C... :\