PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair ad - Daily telegraph

CKnopfell
15th Jul 2005, 10:33
Is it just me, or is Ryanair's ad in the daily telegraph the worst taste in years.

The fact that Ryanair could try to profiteer from the London bombing beggars belief.

[EDIT to add detail about the ad]

The ad is a full page ad. Across the top is the headline.

"LONDON FIGHTS BACK"

in letters about 3 inches high.

Beneath this is a picture of Winston Churchill with a cigar saying

"We shall fly them to the beaches"
"We shall fly them to the hills"
"We shall fly them to London"

Carl.

maxalt
15th Jul 2005, 10:46
For the benefit of those of us without a Daily Telegraph - can you be more specific. Or are you just trying to sell newspapers?

special_ig
15th Jul 2005, 10:47
What does it say?

expedite_climb
15th Jul 2005, 10:51
I'm guessing it may be similar to the ad on the website currently.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/

Bad taste if you ask me.:mad:

anguspm
15th Jul 2005, 10:53
Article on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4685703.stm

Leftit2L8
15th Jul 2005, 10:58
More ammunition for the Ryanair bashers.

The African Dude
15th Jul 2005, 11:07
I'm not a RYR-basher, but "Keep London flying" implies that Ryanair consider themselves to be responsible for maintaining the aviation market in London!!

It's a bit arrogant.. perhaps they should have just come out and said "Keep Ryanair flying!" – the Ryanair head of communications did, after all, say “There are jitters in the market and we recognise people are scared to fly so we are trying to meet them half-way” !! :}

slam_dunk
15th Jul 2005, 11:13
http://www.ryanair.com/globals/cday/050715/cday-GB.gif

gijoe
15th Jul 2005, 12:13
Am I right in thinking that MOL thought so highly of HM Forces that he didn't allow their ID cards to be used as photo ID?

Discuss

Topslide6
15th Jul 2005, 12:13
Is it just me, or is Ryanair's ad in the daily telegraph the worst taste in years.

Is it me...or is that the biggest PC over-reaction in years.

Don't be so bl**dy touchy!!! :rolleyes:

The African Dude
15th Jul 2005, 13:39
What's that got to do with the advert?
I admit it's ironic that, if that's the case, he's using war-related advertising.

It's all a bit odd IMHO!!

A2QFI
15th Jul 2005, 13:46
1. I thought that it was slightly poor taste

2. I thought it was fairly typical MOL

I agree that non accpetance of Mil ID cards for internal flights is B Stupid.

G SXTY
15th Jul 2005, 14:15
I don’t find this the slightest bit funny. Inappropriate, offensive, nauseating – yes, witty – no.

www.asa.org.uk

And what has political correctness got to do with it?

SamKitch
15th Jul 2005, 14:21
I think this is a really good advert, i am studying a degree in business management and advertisement, i really think this effective.

Well Done RYAN AIR proving that you are the best low cost airline.:ok:

Biggles Flies Undone
15th Jul 2005, 14:31
I think this is a really good advert
Well, if you think that is anything other than unoriginal, uninspired, cheap advertising for cheap flights...... have you ever considered a career in hairdressing? :hmm:

allanmack
15th Jul 2005, 14:32
I suppose it is how your 'read' it and what your opinions are of FR in general.

If you don't like them you'll pick up an anything that may be seen as controversial and use this as yet another thing to complain about.

If you like them then you'll see the opposite.

Negative people may see it as poor taste, positive people may see it as FR 'sticking two fingers up' to the terrorists.

In terms of marketing and business generation this ad is effective.

I don't for one minute believe there is anyone at FR who wasn't appalled by what happened in London last week, but business must go on and in the LCC market you have to pick up on every opportunity or you lose ground very quickly.

ManfredvonRichthofen
15th Jul 2005, 14:39
I am a Londoner. Like many, I was caught up in Thursday’s events and witnessed things I would rather not have seen (though I was unhurt). I find this advert inappropriate.

That’s not political correctness, it is a simple question of taste, or rather lack thereof.
I find it hard to square the images I have in my head of bloodied people and those with clothes melted to their skin with the pursuit of profit.
It is crass, inappropriate, distasteful and I am sure to many it is downright offensive.

Middle Seat
15th Jul 2005, 14:41
Profiteering in the face of misery by others isn't new. Its a tad inappropriate, but could have been much worse. Frankly, I'm not surprised what FR sets out.

spud
15th Jul 2005, 17:59
As Winston might have said;
'Up with this, we cannot put'

PAXboy
15th Jul 2005, 18:02
I heard about this on Radio 4 this afternoon on 'PM'. They made the mistake of ringing the PR dept at RYR in DUB to ask what are you doing?

Naturally, the PR bloke took the opportunity to say that they were NOT selling seats and wanted to express solidarity with Londoners ... whilst slipping into the conversation the actual prices and what they were selling. The interviewer said, "Please do not use our programme to advertise your product."

WRONG!!! If they wanted to avoid that - they should not have called them in the first place. I have to say, another victory to Ryan. they must be so happy about the free publicity generated. Each time the news report that an RYR advert received NN complaints, it counts as confirmation that they are doing the right thing to get cheap publicity.

RRAAMJET
15th Jul 2005, 18:28
Bit pathetic, but typical of the lengths some PR execs will go to ....:yuk:

Here in the US, land of the "lawyers at dawn", this is what would happen:

Winston's "...image, words and likeness are the intellectual property of the Churchill family. Any attempt to use the Prime Minister's papers, speeches or their likeness...blah blah....see small print for details. Offer ends Oct 05, offer excluded from relatives of the Duke of Marlborough, Chartwell Mansion or their employees. Special rates may apply for Germans." :rolleyes:

MarkD
15th Jul 2005, 18:45
This matter was previously noted at:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181946

To avoid repeating myself, I will merely stand over what I said there.

maxalt
15th Jul 2005, 19:20
Its a bit pathetic, but I've seen worse - like the use of the image of the hijacked ARIANA a/c in Stansted while the hijack was still in progress and people were under the gun.

Just what we've come to expect.

jabird
16th Jul 2005, 01:05
Maybe it is in poor taste, but I'd rather they did this, than take Virgin Trains' attitude.

We are told to go back to London, and to leave our cars at home. Mr B has made a fortune in the music business. We were told that The Show Must Go On, and it was a great show. So why was there then a coach load of Queen fans stranded at Rugby station without a coach to take them home.

After all the sterling efforts of the various emergency staff, not to mention the London Transport staff who have to work in very tense conditions, the attitude of Virgin Trains this evening was nothing short of disgraceful.

I can understand people not liking Ryanair, but at least they deliver on their promises, and at least they are encouraging people to come back into London. Virgin Trains (not a single train in or out of Coventry at weekends all summer) are doing everything possible to keep people out.

And if you want to talk about subsidies, which company is taking 20p per passenger mile from the government they pay very few corporation taxes to?

Clue - not Ryanair.

P.Pilcher
16th Jul 2005, 09:34
The advertising is having its desired effect as does all advertising of this nature: Because we are all moaning about it, the company's name is kept well to the fore and gathers loads of extra free advertising on the back of its original poor taste advert.

P.P.

jabird
16th Jul 2005, 09:43
PP,

Of course it is. And if the ASA do slap a charge on Ryanair, out pops another round of media attention. Why else do they fight all those court cases that other companies would settle?

You might not like 'em, but they are a very clever business. A healthy democracy has to allow freedom of speech for all its participants, including Irish airlines. Ryanair have always done exactly what it says on the tailfin.

You know where you stand with them (ie if there is a problem, f* off - you only paid £1 for the flight, what do you expect), and their service is generally reliable (let's see all the other airlines publish their stats).

The term "Ryanairport" is also sufficiently well understood by most people to know that Vienna East might be in another country.

People can harp on about CSR as much as they want, but I'd rather have a company that fulfils its promise than a touchy feely organisation which continually leaves its passengers stranded. Ryanair have always been a brutally honest company. As someone who grew up admiring people like Branson, and many of the rockstars who have been preaching at us over the last few weeks, I am growing more and more tired of their hypocrisy. MOL may thrive on provoking outrage, but I'd rather sit down for a pint with him (as long as he doesn't force me to drink that vile Guinness) than most of the other worthies who claim to speak for us or to serve us.

If you don't like their business practices, you have the freedom of choice not to fly with them. I would love to have the freedom of choice to have another decent way of getting to London, but there really isn't one imho. Just got a letter through the post saying "Welcome to the Revolution", aligned with the "Birmingdon" campaign trying to say how Virgin unite London with the rest of the UK. Until they sort out the weekend engineering and late night non-replacement buses, I personally find this campaign far more offensive than anything Ryanair have ever done.

oki
17th Jul 2005, 21:15
<<I think this is a really good advert, i am studying a degree in business management and advertisement>>

...Good, stay there. You're a prat. Stay away from aviation, we want balanced individuals not apologists for clowns like MOL who has done so much to undermine our professional standing

allanmack
18th Jul 2005, 08:04
Oki,

I am disappointed that a so-called professional has reacted in the way you have done to what appears to be an honest posting. Your comments are distinctly un-professional and child-like at best.

MOL may not be everyone's cup of tea but you cannot deny that his airline is a business success story and has enabled many more people to travel by air on holiday and on business when previously this was denied to them by extortionately high fares. As a result many local economies throughout Europe have benefited enormously.

engine2fire
19th Jul 2005, 16:42
The Ryan air advertisers are very clever they intentionally take the adverts to the limit. That way they pay a little to have the advert placed in the telegraph then when the complaints come in and its shown on BBC news ect he get s big time free advertising. They did it before, put a small add in a local paper and it hit news programs all over the world. CLEVER