PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old?

uncle ian
15th Jul 2005, 10:19
Reaching compulsary retrirement through license legislation in a few years I asked the CAA back in May 2003 what effect European Age Discrimination Legislation would have on license priviledges.

After having been sent round the houses (Dept of Transport, Dept of Employment etc) for 18 months I finally got a sensible response from the CAA Legal Advisers Office in January this year.

I thought that I had effectively spread the news through word of mouth but still many of my contempories (the old men of the industry) seem not to have heard and as a recent convert to this forum I am using it for the first time to tell you all that:_

"The CAA will comply with UK legislation when it is made" [ Age discrimination becomes illegal in mid 2006!]

and... the Civil Aviation Medical Forum has recommended to JAA Licensing Standards that pilots over the age of 60 should be allowed to undertake single crew operations................"This proposal is supported by the CAA."

I hope I've made some old men very happy!

Robbo Jock
15th Jul 2005, 11:11
You've not done much for the young ones hoping to fill retiree's shoes!

145kts
15th Jul 2005, 11:20
That’s made me very happy (a not quite so mature pilot)
I will have more time to pay off my overdraft,

I’ve just got to keep my class 1

wassatboing?
15th Jul 2005, 18:34
Hi Ian
I don't suppose that you can clarify 'mid 2006' can you.
I turn into a pumpkin in mid May.
This website says the legislation becomes effective from October 2006
http://www.agepositive.gov.uk/template2.cfm?sectionid=55
Anyway thanks for all your hard work and tenacity it's not easy sometimes to get a decision out of the men from the ministry!
Ridders

Whirlybird
15th Jul 2005, 19:28
I hope I've made some old men very happy!

Wooohoooooo!!!!!!!

I don't know about the old men, but you've certainly made one woman - who isn't "old" yet but will be in not all that many years - quite ecstatic. :ok:

uncle ian
18th Jul 2005, 09:30
Hi wassatboing,

The man from the Belgrano was not specific but the (european)legislation must be incorporated into UK law by 2/12/06. Fear not, though, there is nothing to say that you need to hold your licence continuously...........as I read it a 64 year could requalify, subject to medical obviously, in 2006.......................

and Hi Robbo Jock,

Sorry if you're upset by this but I suspect it will not damage your or your contempories prospects too much.

and Hi Whirlybird,

I seem to recall hearing something similar before............but at my age the memory's not so hot!

uncle ian