PDA

View Full Version : VB incident?

The_Cutest_of_Borg
15th Jul 2005, 04:57
At the risk of being branded a finger pointer, when driving to work this morning the radio news came up with a one liner that got my attention. It ran something like this..

"Passengers on a Virgin Blue flight last night had a close call when the aircraft they were travelling on diverted to the Gold Coast with a fire in the cockpit..."

That was it. No details and nothing in this forum or in the newspapers.

Did I dream it? (It was early..). Anyone know anything about it?
:confused:

Was it, as I suspect, something totally innocuous that has been reported by a passenger and beaten up?

peuce
15th Jul 2005, 04:59
Apparently, someone had an overheating laptop...

willadvise
15th Jul 2005, 05:00
SMH Report (http://smh.com.au/news/national/smoking-laptop-sparks-flight-security-scare/2005/07/15/1120934388397.html)

The_Cutest_of_Borg
15th Jul 2005, 05:08
Thanks Will... missed that on the SMH page... and yes, seems I was correct about the beat up.

Dookie on Drums
15th Jul 2005, 12:17
Apparently the pax involved did the runner with the offending laptop before the engineers could speak with him to make sure it actually was the laptop that caused the burning smell. :rolleyes:

Capt Fathom
15th Jul 2005, 12:38
Baked Beans will do that too! :E

BankAngle50
17th Jul 2005, 09:44
Don’t you just love the sensationalism that ensues in the media, even with the most minor of incidents?

I cant wait until OzJet start flying those relics with the JT8D’s. Booommmm Compressor stall----“Plane in death Plunge!”

Legal_Counsel
17th Aug 2005, 06:26
I had a lap top which had a battery overheat after I had been using it on a flight to Christchurch. My first indication of the overheat was when I pulled it back out of the back at the hotel so it must have bee cooking in the bag! Still works OK.

:uhoh:

bushy
17th Aug 2005, 11:03
Lithium batteries are dangerous goods, aren't they?

SkySista
18th Aug 2005, 09:21
the burning smell.

yeah cheese in the oven does that too, or so the FA told me!! Was on a flight once with DJ and, having just watched the doco about Swissair 111 was a tad jumpy... smelled a really foul plastic-y burning smell...... called her over, and she told me someone dropped cheese in the oven!! Wasn't I relieved! :}

I was wondering about the batteries too.... is it only sending them in the hold that's the problem? Or do they except them in the cabin as they do aersol deodorants and so forth???