PDA

View Full Version : Khartoum landing rights (freight) inquiry

Luv 744s
15th Jul 2005, 04:26
I have a friend whom asked me a question; I didn't know the answer, and figured someone here might be more familiar with freight ops in/out of Khartoum, Sudan.

His company is in Dubai and uses a freight forwarder firm to ship valves to Khartoum.

The freight forwarder firm chartered a freight jet to bring the equipment to Khartoum, but was denied landing rights.

The local Khartoum airport officials reportedly indicated this was due to airport congestion.

I do not personally know which firm this was done through or any other details. He was curious if this was normal for Khartoum?

And if this was a subtle way of requesting 'expedited processing fees' for the airport officials to change their mind, or if they truly didn't have capacity for any additional traffic at any time of the day?

Any insight would be much appreciated. He's got me curious now, too! :)

CR2
15th Jul 2005, 06:43
Congestion in Khartoum??? Doubt it.
Did they have traffic rights in the first place?

CargoOne
15th Jul 2005, 10:02
Airport congestion in KRT is nonsence.
I think you are mixing the landing right with a traffic rights. If you've got the traffic rights then basically you just need to follow standart operational procedures.

VP8
15th Jul 2005, 15:22
We've been operating into KRT for the last two weeks and there is a bit of a parking problem as it's a bit busy at the moment mind you this is with the 124!! and we can only get one on the ground at a time and the CAA have refused a traffic permit for some flights as the Airport Authorities have said no parking available bit we have negotiated with the Airport to time arrivals and departures to suit them and have got permits..........what cargo aircraft are you using 744??

VEEPS

900EX
15th Jul 2005, 15:23
We have operated a cargo flight to KRT two weeks ago. Application and permission of traffic rights went absolutely normal. Question is when the charter company applied for the permits.
The request for "expedite processing fee" makes me think that they had done that just prior to departure.
Anyhow, once arrived be prepared to be charged for royalties (75 USD/ton) and freight charges (whatever that might be for 30 USD/ton).

I agree with CR2 and CargoOne that congestion definitely was not the true reason for denial of the landing (traffic?) rights

Luv 744s
17th Jul 2005, 14:56
Much appreciated the comments -- thank you very much to all whom responded!

Agreed, the given excuse did sound fishy.

I ended up advising my friend that someone was likely telling porkies, and to give serious consideration to selecting a different freight shipper whom can get the job done.

Thanks again!