PDA

View Full Version : The "Booming" Australian Chopper Industry

victor two
14th Jul 2005, 23:42
I read an article in the current Australian Aviation magazine, actually it was a feature over several pages, which described a current boom in the helicopter industry. EMS helicopters are on the rise, the strong cattle industry is pushing the mustering component along, corporate chopper numbers are on the increase, there was basically no bad news at all about the industry other than the fact that Australia will run out of suitable pilots very soon. One large training provider suggests that we will need 150 or so new pilots every year for the next 5 years based upon predicted growth.

Now this is all sounds great but suspicions always run high when a training provider goes out and says that there are not enough pilots in training and everybody who wants a job in the chopper world would be advised to get in now as it's never been a better time.

So Aussie chopper pilots. Is this true? Are you riding the crest of a booming wave of helicopter expansion or is it just business as usual?

cheers

Vic

overpitched
15th Jul 2005, 00:23
Victor Two

I think generally things are pretty good in OZ at the moment. It is hard to know from a pilots point of view whether this is more a combination of seasonal factors or a general industry upturn. As a freelance/contractor light turbine pilot there has been plenty of work in the last year. Even with the lack of fire work I've done about 800 hours contract work in the last 12 months in various parts of Australia.

I think also there has been a lot of movement within the industry recently. Lots of job adds (Although not all legit). From what I have seen pilots MAYBE getting their second job, ie.. getting out of the bush, a little earlier than they were a few years ago as well.

The top end companies are having much more trouble this year getting the 1000-1500 hour pilots to come up and work in the remote areas for crap money.

All that said I don't think too many pilots are holding their breath for more money or better conditions just yet.

wishtobflying
15th Jul 2005, 01:14
I'm told the prospects are vastly better these days for twin IFR pilots. Someone I was talking to the other day said the best thing a single engine VFR pilot could do for their career would be to get a twin IFR rating because there's such a shortage worldwide.

Employers ... your experience getting twin IFR pilots?