PDA

View Full Version : What to do with fuel samples?

aerobatic_dude
14th Jul 2005, 22:51
I've been taught to always throw the fuel sample away e.g. on the ground. I'll always stick to that method but recently I have noticed some people taking the sample and pouring it back into the tank. From what i've heard " it may look good but there may be some invisible sediment in it "

Out of curiosity does anyone here teach their students to put it back into the tank ?

fireflybob
15th Jul 2005, 08:08
Never been an advocate of pouring it back in the tank - might there be some sediment in the receptacle which is being used which might end up in the fuel system?

I have asked our local GA field to provide suitable receptacles near the hangar for the purpose of disposing of fuel samples but have yet to see any! I believe that pouring samples away on the ground may be technically illegal and it doesnt seem very eco-friendly. Also it can erode tarmac if thrown away on such surfaces.

I was told that in USA you can be subject to a fine if you dispose of samples on the ground.

bookworm
15th Jul 2005, 08:27
GATS jars (http://www.pilotstore.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1715) seem to work well for us.

WrongWayCorrigan
15th Jul 2005, 10:46
Have seen people pouring it over the wheel. Pointless?

Miserlou
15th Jul 2005, 13:06
Pour it over the weeds between the paving. It's an OK weedkiller.

Never back in the tank, though.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2005, 13:54
Fuel for the flying club lawnmower.

G

bladewashout
15th Jul 2005, 20:34
There are some samplers in the US which have a very fine fine strainer on half of their tops so you can pour it back in the tank safely. However if there's water in it, it doesn't seem smart to be hand-separating.

As I understand it, it is against UK health and safety laws to dispose of any fuel, particularly contaminated, other than into an approved container, which is then managed as hazardous waste. The individuals would be committing an offence of failing to dispose lawfully, as would be the operator for not undertaking a proper risk assessment and providing adequate waste handling facilities for known waste generated as a result of the business processes.

BW

ATP_Al
15th Jul 2005, 21:29
Where I work the skydivers use it to fill their lighters!

;)

Onan the Clumsy
15th Jul 2005, 23:57
What do you mean by "fuel sample" and "straining"?

:}

tinpis
16th Jul 2005, 01:06
The skydivers in this part of the world would be more likely to sniff it.

BEagle
16th Jul 2005, 07:28
I ran out of barbi' lighting fluid once.....

So poured a VERY small quantity of 100LL fuel from the 'for disposal' jar over the dry coals and let it soak in. Then, to get it going, a little surgical spirit was also poured over.

Standing at a safe distance, I lit a match, then at arm's length holding it in barbecue tongs, held it over the coals...........

Well, yes, they certainly lit. A spectacular WHOOMPH and all the coals lit simultaneously! NOT the most sensible way of lighting a barbecue and DO NOT try it!

There's so much ludicrous huggy-fluffy Health and Safety bull$hit these days that it's simpler just to pour the fuel from a clean, sediment-free fuel checker back into the tank UNLESS there's any water in it.

bookworm
16th Jul 2005, 08:50
What do you mean by "fuel sample"?

Must be that stuff you spilled upon the ground, Onan... ;)

pulse1
16th Jul 2005, 08:57
At the long term park at EGHH there is a notice saying that fuel samples must be disposed of in the correct place. Unfortunately it doesn't disclose where that might be.

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Jul 2005, 12:01
I used to throw it away. After a while I thought that in a year I was sloshing away gallons of perfectly useable fuel for no good reason. If the sample looked good it went back in the tank.

I think thats much safer than the way some people take only a very small sample. I've nearly been caught by one being ALL water that smelt quite right. The second drafting was 50:50 so these days I have a big drainer or do it twice. Then it goes back in the tank.

If water has gotten in the tank then it can be a lot. I've drained over 8 litres out of a Pa38 left out in heavy rain with degradrd fuelcap seals.

Cheers

Engineer
16th Jul 2005, 12:07
In Africa the fuel sample jar was a 5 gallon drum :O

Which was then wheeled off and the contents sold to the locals for use in primus stoves. :ok:

Now would you call that good fuel management? :E

Turbine
19th Jul 2005, 06:01
When I was teaching in avgas aircraft, I got all the instructors to empty their fuel samples into a small 20-litre drum. At the time, another instructor and I were riding old 250cc motorcycles so we both went forever without ever paying for fuel. It was environmentally friendly and made life that little bit easier for the poor old instructors making third world wages.

BingoWings
19th Jul 2005, 07:13
If the fuel is clear of contaminates, then why not put it back in the tank. If you're using a fuel strainer that wasn't clean, then you wouldn't know if the fuel was contaminated with sediment anyway. The GATS fuel testers are good for that because they have a filter.
Then again, I'm the kind of guy who lifts the hose in the fuel station to get the remaining dribbles out when filling my car!

Turbine
19th Jul 2005, 14:38
Hello BingoWings,

If the fuel is clear of contaminates, then why not put it back in the tank...

Because typically your fuel drain is not an approved container. Once fuel hits it, it is considered to be contaminated. In Oz it's law - don't know about other parts of the world.

BingoWings
20th Jul 2005, 14:03
Turbine, thank you for your reply. If I were to transport or store fuel, then I would have to use an approved container. I think that is pretty much the same anywhere. But who's to say that the approved container is not contaminated? Is the container approved because it is suitable to hold the volatile liquid or because it is sterile? I personally think it is safe to carefully analyse the fuel and put it back.

vindaloo
28th Jul 2005, 16:00
Have seen people pouring it over the wheel. Pointless?
When I was learning, my instructor taught me to pour the fuel sample over the undercarriage leg (C152) after checking that it was all the same colour (i.e. either all water or all fuel). If it was fuel then it would disperse in a different way from water due to the different density. I don't actually do this myself anymore as I'm sure I got funny looks when I moved to a different flying club. Any thoughts?

Vindaloo

Mintflavour
29th Jul 2005, 10:40
Hi
I have been taught both, always dispose, and pour it back into the tank if it is clear of water and contamination.

I do feel that there is a safety issue being missed here and I believe that this has happend. When disposing the fuel it must be done away from the aircraft. It is possible a flame or two to pop out of the exhaust during start up. This could easily catch the fuel you just carelessly disposed off on the ground in the vicinity of the exhaust pipe, and before you know it you and your plane are sitting on a fire....... ooops

All the best

mint