PDA

View Full Version : Hillsboro Aviation.

R22DRIVER
14th Jul 2005, 17:12
Any Guys or Gals out there training with Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon?

I am looking for any info on them as im possibly going to do some training there.

Thanks,

R22

:ok:

kianus
20th Jul 2008, 16:33
Hello!
Is there anyone here who is going to attend the professional pilot program at Hillsboro Aviation in november?

justlearning
25th Jul 2008, 03:31
I am currently in the program, just finishing up my CFI right now. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Conor

RavenII
25th Jul 2008, 14:31
I was there in 2005, great place, have fun!!

MartinCh
26th Jul 2008, 04:22
There's plenty German and Norwegian students and CFIs here.

if Conor can't aswer your questions (ie European angle), ask lelebebbel (German CFI) for whatever or if you feel you need Norwegian's opinion (??), ask him for some emails. lelebebbel will helpfully give you idea about the stuff.

Presume someone who's done it and works for Hillsboro Aviation would know more than someone just having sorted his visa/paperwork..

Have a look at This website (http://www.helistars.no) - two N guys who are on their long-ish way home (in R44) from Hillsboro - graduates as well. Enjoy

Btw, if you want to speed up your training (would be strange if not), get ASA PPL Test Prep on Amazon, alongside with other suggested rotary theory reading (FAA Rotorcraft flying handbook, etc) so you can get some of it out of way. Not to mention basic aerodynamics you can grasp faster once you've got the controls. Maybe you've done so already..
If you're hardcore, you can even study ASA CPL or IR test prep and books on it. They might change few questions in the winter or spring, but..

kianus
24th Aug 2008, 14:15
THanks for good tips.

Is there anyone here that is attending this school in November?

MartinCh
25th Aug 2008, 22:23
You smuggling something or what??
You'll have plenty time to befriend folks starting the same time as you.
You obviously want something else and not first-hand, behind the scenes etc info from the place itself. You must have all the paperwork done if you have such close start date.

I guess I'm one of those who just can't grasp the idea of writing posts looking for people starting something the same time somewhere.

Not feeling alone/alienated when arriving? Well, you've got plenty guys from Norway any given time in Hillsboro.

nocarsgo
26th Aug 2008, 23:52
No but I'm training 13 miles south of there at Precision Aviation at Chehalem Airpark. I'm from here but we recently had a guy from Sweden get is instrument from here.

kianus
27th Aug 2008, 02:10
Oh yes, gonna smuggle lots of brown cheese.
No its just very simple. I want to get in contact with people who plans to attend the school the same time as me...

aclark79
27th Aug 2008, 02:38
Brown cheese! Bring some extra and I'll make sure you get invited to all the good parties... (grin)

Can you get some good turkish delight as well?

MartinCh
27th Aug 2008, 20:28
Kianus, that's pretty obvious after your second post..

What wasn't, was whether you just want to pat each other's shoulders virtually (alternatively, swap stories to speed up sense of camaraderie before arriving) or you're in need of some info. In which case someone in the same position as yours counts as zilch help for such..

MartinCh
27th Aug 2008, 20:57
http://213.215.107.67/fotoalbumy/152/320/mf_152320572_f85e0550484a47a39b1586a4424647d5.jpg

http://213.215.107.73/fotoalbumy/152/320/mf_152320600_212430aa507aedfa67fe23ff3dff2103.jpg

http://213.215.107.73/fotoalbumy/152/320/mf_152320547_7497fb7a2ab0cbcfe3140bc992aaa44a.jpg

http://213.215.107.74/fotoalbumy/152/320/mf_152320472_8b80796ca3c8b7e810c3105f34a0aa11.jpg

Unfortunately, just temporarily for the Oregon AirShow display. Only saw them arriving. Wasn't there day after but the choppers were just static display as I heard.
Still, bunch of Robbies from SSH remains are serving well satisfying demand.
If you stick around long enough, you'll see some fixed wing flying and some of these including the Blackhawk or two (as EMS standby) in August '09.

http://213.215.107.72/fotoalbumy/152/325/mf_152325127_6729252d3b30e8b4fa4576591ab7aef6.jpg
Yeah, these and couple more usually down in Salem if you poodle around to check them out.

RavenII
2nd Sep 2008, 16:57
The Hillsboro Airshow is awesome, was the crazy guy in his red Bi-Plane there again?

Macu09
23rd Feb 2009, 22:19
Hi All.
Just signed up so its all a bit new at the moment!Have to say iv found out alot of usefull information on this forum!:D

Any way,im of to Hillsboro in september to do my ppl/cpl(H).Costing an arm and a leg as im sure you all know but im hooked and thats all i want to do.Im sure you've heard it all before.

I just have two Questions and would love any one out there that could help me out.

Is Hillsboro a good choice?I live in Ireland so im just going on word of mouth and what little info iv found on the net.Also,ill be going over on a 2 year visa and when im done training hope to instruct for the 2nd year,are schools in america taken on many instructors these days,what are my chances these days?

Thanks alot guys.

ReverseFlight
24th Feb 2009, 00:17
And can anyone give a heads-up on the weather at Hillsboro now ? Any VMC days to speak of, or is it all sitting on the ground with rain and fog ?

I have a friend who's starting there (ab initio) in a couple of weeks' time. He'll need a lot of VMC days for circuits.

justlearning
24th Feb 2009, 18:41
Macu09 -

I think Hillsboro is a good choice, ofcourse, I am a bit biased since I did my training here, and I am now a CFI here as well. :ok:

Reverse Flight -

The weather has been improving pretty steadily over the last few weeks, although we are having a bit of weather this week. It's still VFR, but not as nice as last week (which was very nice).

Stoey
25th Feb 2009, 06:40
Macu09

If you still have the possibility i would start out on the M1 visa and do your private, then go home for christmas and change your visa to a J1 visa which gives you more time to get some practical job experience over here if you get a job and so on.
A lot of germans have done it, and a couple of others, its the way it gives you the most time here, but remember dec 31. is the last day you can apply for the J1 visa, so if you miss that date you will be in some trouble getting a new visa.

Good luck.

MartinCh
25th Feb 2009, 10:11
stoey,
not exactly.

while it's good to know it's OK to get 50-70hrs (or bit more) under belt on M1 and return (even after 2 weeks holiday back home) on J1, end of this year is important as far as things do work now, for school to issue DS2019 for embassy/consulate section interview.

So, I'd go over and do M1 visa and PPL plus bit more flying while you can during summer time - you'd be able to fly your pants off. Then do the J1 thing.

You can enter the US soil next year, but until June (can't recall end or beginning of), but you have to have your form from school for visa interview for J1 printed off by NYE.

As for good/bad choice, well, I'd say positives prevail. While it's hot in summer, not as humid as Florida's summer. I spent summer in Georgia ages ago and 'no thanks'. If you have spare cash, go for Bristow Academy and hassle-free option of JAA papers.
You don't have to wait for clogged up FAA/JAA combined programme.
There've been guys who came over on J1 to do FAA and did the theory and JAA papers. Why not. Also, going FAA and distance study ATPL - something you can do thanks to the test centre in Florida and Bristow's provision of examiners now and then.

As for Oregon itself, it's great. Portland's nice city. Hillsboro is OK, student housing walkable (uh, longish) or easy peasy on bike if you're not bothered with car - useful for trips though.

Regarding chances of jobs, uhm, it's always been competitive. Just like Bristow grads, there are smaller schools elsewhere that could hire you once finished and without job offer from HAI.
Just had fresh info about last recruitment and it was 16 applicants for 2 vacancies. Not gruesome.

If I had the cash to finish up (and I'd jump for it), I'd fly as much as possible on M1 within limits - trust me, HAI's more generous than Bristow Academy if you want the details.
THEN, getting DS form for visa interview late/r this year (but with enough wisdom not to screw it timewise). Actually, you should be able to get your DS form while you're in Hillsboro in person.
Do the visa interview, give them start day in May 2010 (fly over in April as you can do so). While they may not give you the vignette in passport more than 3 months before 'start date', you can do interview way ahead. I got the paperwork out of way for my M1 that way.

This way you'd be there when most of the J1 instructors finish their stay and although there'll always be some local grads. That was my idea before my expected funding was screwed up big time ('thank you' US and UK economies etc). Plus GBP/USD rate so crap nowadays.

Yes, there's less US students signing up overall in the US, but in the end, less competition from graduates. Silver State fallout should give way by then. Current J1 schools and quite a few M1 only now, have steady influx of Europeans (read mostly Germans, Scandinavians and few or the rest). They're going to need instructors anyway.

You're just fine if you've got funding now and are not limited by other stuff.
Also, USD/EUR hasn't seen such percentual drop as USD/GBP. I also lose out on future funding in another currency. :mad:

EDIT:
I just found second 'smaller' both FW and RW school in the US that has recently sorted M1/I-20 issuance rights with US govt/SEVIS so that they could get international students. Sign of the times, I know. Less local students, need to diversify student recruitment. Should be good for on non-US folks for more options. More competition and less of M1/Florida premium.

Macu09
25th Feb 2009, 18:43
Thanks everyone for taking the time out to answer my questions,especially MartinCH,sound advise cheers.

I know the feeling,I was expecting to have alot more funding going over but the exchange rate screwed that up.Think i'll have to stick with the original plan unless the bank manager decides to help (Fat chance).Hopefully things will work out for you.

Hopefully i'll come home with between 800/900Hrs and work on converting my FAA to JAA,and keep building up the hours.

wardy20
25th Feb 2009, 18:54
Hey Macu, good to hear another paddy is taking to the skies! there's a few of us training here in florida.i'm nearing the end of my faa private and headed for commercial.Also, you couldnt have picked a better time to get away by the sound of things! best of luck with everything and if ya have any questions, give us a shout.

Wardy

Macu09
26th Feb 2009, 18:07
Hey Wardy,
How's things?Thanks for the offer of help,i'm sure i'll take you up on it from time to time while i work out how this system works:confused:There seems to be a few of us in hillsboro too,maybe its in fashion or something:)

How are you finding florida?Is it Bristow your training at?Was thinking to train their at the start of my plans but it didnt workout at the time.How do you find the ground school and written exams?Been awhile since i'v been in school,hard to get back into the whole routine!!

Yeh things here are getting pretty bad,you would get sick listening to it every day,but good time to go on an adventure tho.
Good luck with the training.

FlyingBasti
15th May 2009, 21:01
Hi there,

I've just applied for the CHPL training in Hillsboro and was told that currently it looks like I would go to the Troutdale Campus.

So I wanted to know if there's anybody around here, who knows something about that campus, has been there or even is there right now. :)

justlearning
16th May 2009, 01:27
FlyingBasti,

The Troutdale campus is a bit more laid back and I think there is a bit more pattern space available as well out there than the Hillsboro campus.

The airspace isn't quite as busy as Hillsboro, but it does get windier out there than at Hillsboro. Lot's of pretty country right around there too.

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 05:17
Is it true that at Hillsboro, students are taught to turn carb heat off on final approach even if it's required?

lelebebbel
17th May 2009, 07:36
the maneuver guide says: "lower carb heat halfway through final", to increase the power reserve when establishing a hover. It's pretty much the same thing that the carb heat assist in a B2 does anyways.

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 17:17
So you don't do that in B2's up there right? If so, explain why that's a concern in regards to power reserve. It's derated so that should not be an issue right?

lelebebbel
17th May 2009, 21:25
it's not really a concern at sea level because of the derating - correct. It would be if you're landing at 4,000ft on a sunny day though. I didn't write the maneuver guide, but I think the purpose of this is habit formation.

MartinCh
17th May 2009, 21:50
Jared,
you mentioned you do/did some heli training at Quantum.
Should I presume you have full carb all the way down to hover during summer in Arizona?

JL is right. I don't think it's class Delta either :-P Touch small for mid-sized bizjets.
You have PDX to the West, KTTD is below its TMA I think.
Definitely a plus for international students requiring fast-paced training.
Having patterns more easily available is big plus and less sore deriere sitting around 2-3hrs BEFORE actual preflight as most training slots at KHIO.
Not that flying off to Scappoose for some pattern bashing is bad (if missing out on heli pattern at KHIO), but too many times and you're paying for 'positioning' when you need to do pattern stuff.
Also, all the first solos, checkrides, CFI training etc get priority (and scheduled ahead) so there are times you'd get a chance to 'sit it out' only early morning or the last slot. IF I happen to go back to Hillsboro again, I'd rather be in Troutdale campus.

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 21:55
Martin,

Yes, I train/trained at Quantum and when conditions are not conducive, carb heat is always down and locked.

I understand at higher elevations and so forth but I thought that it was derated enough to avoid this as well. I guess I'm still new to all of this! I'm not knocking your procedures or anything, I'm just trying to better understand things. I have an unusual mind and I'm not happy until I fully understand the "why" aspect of things!

MartinCh
17th May 2009, 22:09
Normally we did pull the carb heat after getting to 500' AGL in the pattern, gages check again, yada yada, then after some distance (not that big, though) starting descent. That 'halfway through the final' is fairly long-ish time from pulling the lever, most of the height (pulling low MP) is gone.

Macu09, btw, having re-read my previous post, I can say that sorting TTD campus was inevitable in the grand scheme of things. Having mentioned Bristow Academy earlier, I can mention that they sorted their New Iberia, Louisiana campus (former Vortex, bought out) for M1 as well. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any price differences across the campuses.
Also, there is or about to be JAA testing centre in Arizona - closer to Hillsboro if you're keen to start on the theory - CATS (Cranfield Aviation) are expanding network of overseas or non-UK schools working in cooperation with them for the JAA theory - if they have authorised 'brush up' provider, you can leave the US with full JAA CPL or the hours and theory credits and just do LST back in Europe :cool:

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 22:24
Here is what I've been taught.

If temp is lower than 28C and Temp/DP spread is less than 11:

On the ground: pull full carb heat. If temp/DP is real close, do the same as it's likely to be required when at altitude or climbing to altitude(This is because your hand should not be removed from the collective until established).

In the air: continue to monitor and keep the needle out of the yellow while conditions are conducive.

*If at any time you reduce the power below 18" then you pull full carb heat regardless of gauge reading. (ie. descent to final)

MartinCh
17th May 2009, 22:27
Yes, I train/trained at Quantum and when conditions are not conducive, carb heat is always down and locked. Ehm. Am I too rusty in my theory already having not flown (helis) for some time? Maybe. 'Down and locked' meaning as not using it?
If you have high OAT, it's not about 'carb icing conditions' but about collective fairly low/not pulling much according to MP. So risk of carburetor butterfly icing due to low dynamic pressure (=lower temp in throat)

EDIT: I don't think anybody's contradicting other's training.
Descent to final = having carb heat applied (and lowered for last 50-70ft alt, depending)

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 22:32
Yes, by down and locked i mean, not in use.

I might be a little confused with your last post. If you have a high OAT then conditions are not conducive to carb heat even if you have visible moisture.

Neither type of icing would occur with an OAT greater than 28C right?

MartinCh
17th May 2009, 22:39
Uh. We're getting into technicalities. I haven't seen the heli theory for a while. I remember 'OR visible moisture'. I'm not blessed with loads of dosh and slaving a lot towards flying. Kinda protracted to put it mildly. I'm getting used to gliding patterns/circuits these days - need a flying fix, even if not choppers. Very straightforward checklist, no engine management. 'Speeding up on base and final for landing' :-P

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 22:47
Haha no worries. I guess my understanding of this was that 0C is freezing and 28C is the magic number. That means that if you had visible moisture but a temp of 29 then that's too much of a drop to reach freezing at the butterfly to cause icing.

I could be very wrong and my head is kind of going in circles now in preparation for my IFR checkride.

MartinCh
17th May 2009, 23:25
http://atsb.gov.au/pdfs/carb_icing.pdf

quick googling for a pic.
Just to show you graphically that 0deg C isn't bottom boundary and it's also about 'visible moisture' or relative humidity if wanting to be nit-picking.
If you have high humidity, you could still get carb icing above 28C.
Pilot's Handbook of A. Knowledge mentions 20-70F which works out as -7 to 21C.
That'll be the main range to watch out for. I think the dew point spread you mention would be applicable to situations with higher temp but also humidity.

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 23:41
Ahh yes, now I remember the 20-70 rule. I can't think right now as I'm trying to plan an IFR flight plan. I'll come back to this later and post. Thanks for the info.

Brian Abraham
18th Aug 2010, 01:52
From Aviation International News today

FAA Wants $580K Penalty from Hillsboro Aviation
The FAA is seeking a civil penalty of $580,000 from Hillsboro Aviation of Hillsboro, Ore., “for allegedly performing improper repairs, deliberately falsifying maintenance records and operating a helicopter in a reckless manner.” The proposed penalty amount is lower than it could have been, according to the FAA, because Hillsboro’s general manager “upon learning of the intentional falsifications, immediately terminated all personnel involved with these or any other possible deceptive practices, including the director of maintenance, and ordered a complete conformity inspection of all [Hillsboro] aircraft.” The FAA’s allegations include non-authorized persons performing required maintenance, non-compliance with required inspections, operating without required equipment, falsification of an Airworthiness Directive compliance record, and a pilot flying a Hillsboro helicopter under a bridge. “We acknowledge that there were some isolated events which occurred in 2008,” said a Hillsboro statement. But as soon as he became aware of the problems, company president and owner Max Lyons notified the FAA, suspended all flight operations, did conformity checks on the entire fleet, fired all the employees responsible for the events, instituted new policies and procedures and implemented a safety management system. “The FAA told us the actions we took to address these events went above and beyond its expectations,” he said.