PDA

View Full Version : CAA to JAR-66 charges

snags
28th Nov 2001, 17:32
To change from a CAA LWTR Aeroplanes 2 and Gas Turbine engines to an unresticted JAR-66
B1-1 licence is according to the CAA

Licence conversion 201 pounds
To remove restiction i.e.to sit 5
modules or part modules @ 26 pounds
each 130 pounds

Total 331 pounds BLIMEY!!!!!!

Has anyone else paid less than this

Bus429
29th Nov 2001, 03:26
I paid 437 stg to convert to B2 + C.
Coupled with their decisions on recognising courses, the CAA have made a complete b@lls-up with BCAR/JAR 66 conversion.
Why don't you write to your MP? :mad:

Siddique
29th Nov 2001, 19:40
I agree the whole thing has been poorly handled and in the current climate can only make people wonder why they are doing it! Words like scandal come to mind...The CAA have to make around 8% profit on assets employed, show me any one in the industry that has made that in the past number of years? Surely the CAA charges should be related to the industry's performance? Dont see too many surveyors out of work at the moment? Or are they too in the same position as the rest of us and awaiting the axe man comeing? I doubt it.

Siddique
4th Dec 2001, 20:16
Isnt any one interested in this? The issue of the exorbitant charges made by the CAA for regulating us in or jobs must surely be close to all engineer's hearts? Or is no one interested being worn down and fed up with the whole issue? :mad:

NIGHTFR8R
5th Dec 2001, 01:37
The CAA are a law un-to themselves. This year when trying to take my X licence they arranged a date and apparently sent me a letter giving me the date, which I never received. Then charged me £69.00 for failing to attend. When I complained that I couldn't go to the exam because I did't know about it they said "tough luck because if you don't pay the money you can't apply for another exam" What choice did I have? I paid the fine and the fee for another exam and thankfully passed.They are not called the "Capaign Against Aviation" for nothing.

PinPusher
6th Dec 2001, 01:57
Anybody else see the double page ad in Flight a few months ago looking for surveyors?

Be interesting to know how many thousands of pounds that cost!

Good to know where your money goes. :mad:

Blacksheep
6th Dec 2001, 08:16
Apathy I suppose. In my own case I've elected not to bother converting and I probably won't bother renewing my Section "L" when it expires either. But then I have other qualifications, applicable to other industries, but are also useful for remaining in aviation. Since entering aviation I've had to requalify with new examinations and revised syllabuses four times so far. Twice in the RAF and another twice since leaving. This change is the third and is the last straw. All of these changes in the syllabus and new examinations are not to do anything different or to gain promotion or additioanl pay, mind. Simply to stay where I was and continue doing the same things.

Pilots have six monthly checks to ensure continuing competence, which seems to be the proper way to deal with the constant changes in aviation. I wonder what would happen if they had to completely resit their ATPL every five years or so?

Through difficulites to the cinema

nilnotedtks
6th Dec 2001, 16:17
blacksheep . . . .you are spot on with your comments. The continuing and on going malaise in our industry is being fuelled by the complete indifference to us shown by our licensing authority. The pilots would not put up with it ( nor any one else in the industry I suspect )yet we still soldier on. I take you point about the service qualifications, when I left the RAF in 1977 I thought I had left the bull**** behind, oh dear, sadly not. I too am not inclined to spend a fortune taking exams, including trips to and from the Middle East, just to bust a gut for a qualification I already have. S*d 'em . . .