PDA

View Full Version : Atpl Notes Vs Religion

sputnik_1
14th Jul 2005, 15:17
A freind of mine showed me some ATPL notes the other day that had biblical quotes at the top of the pages.
WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THIS?

as a practising hindu I take great offence to this. What right does an ATPL provider have to force their religious beliefs onto innocent punters just trying to pass their ATPLs

Apparently the notes are crap anyway, so I guess if this provider put as much effort into his ATPL content, as he does into his preaching, the notes , might be worthy of being photocopied:yuk:

Lasiorhinus
14th Jul 2005, 16:52
What exactly is the problem?

You were 'shown' some notes that are 'apparently' crap, from this I take it that you yourself have not attended any of the classes, so I fail to see how you can be convinced that anyone is preaching anything.
Having quotes on things is by no means a unique idea - quotes appear on many things, and if this particular theory provider happened to choose to add (presumably relevant) quotes to his theory notes then good on him. If he happens to choose quotes from not Shakespeare or the Wright Brothers, but from a particular book which most people in this country are at least aware of, isn't that his perogative?
If you don't agree with the quotes, don't take them to heart - but by the same token don't automatically decide they have no value merely because they come from someones religion.

Ozgrade3
14th Jul 2005, 21:31
So.........what!!!!

If you are offended, go live in a country where Hindu is the predominant religion.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
14th Jul 2005, 21:32
IMHO,

Their notes are very good, i have passed both fixed wing and rotary exams on their material, with very few problems, other than the usual " read the dam question", types,

If you have something in your life you are very happy with, it gives you a reason to live, or a 128 cm plasma screen TV, a new car, a great restaurant, what ever, you want to share that knowledge with your friends.

I am absoutely certain they are not trying to brain wash you, i am a practising Athiest, i was not offended by their friendly gesture.

I would sugest you talk to "practising pilots" to see what they think about the offending organisation.

Sputnik, if you are so easily offended, i suggest you not turn on the TV, or read a news paper, or go out in public.

There was great article on SBS about the inner workings of a Butcher Shop, being a Hindu would this have offended you, get over yourself.

For someone that is religious you are sprouting a tone of intolerance, is that what Hinduism is all about.

morning mungrel
14th Jul 2005, 22:51
Well, I guess that since you have decided that they are "not worth PHOTOCOPYING", then you'll have to go out and PAY for some like the rest of us you fisharse.:yuk:

wishtobflying
14th Jul 2005, 22:52
You felt that was "forcing" the religious beliefs upon you? Try doing a google search for "militant hindu" and it might put things into perspective.

Here are two quotes for you, pick the biblical one:

"You cannot achieve what you have not first imagined ..."

"He who hates correction is foolish."

wessex19
15th Jul 2005, 04:42
About 7 years ago when I was looking at doing my ATPL theory, I looked at a mates notes from this bloke and for a number of reasons never chose to purchase them. I personally think it is unescessary to have religious Quotes on the top of theory text. It was actually one reason why I never purchased them!!

mattyj
15th Jul 2005, 06:19
what a waste of time post..if you don't want the religeous notes buy some off the competition.

People who take offence at such trivia have got no place in easy going countries like Aus or NZ..

..down with the moral minority who always make so much noise

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

turbinejunkie
15th Jul 2005, 07:36
I wonder what the Hindu book (whatever that is) and your multiple gods say about stealing intellectual property .... :hmm:
p.s.

I always think its funny how the people who react worst to the Christian message are usually the ones most confronted by it! :D

TJ :ok:

cobber74
15th Jul 2005, 08:38
You felt that was "forcing" the religious beliefs upon you? Try doing a google search for "militant hindu" and it might put things into perspective.

u shoul do a google search for nerd, and face will be there.....!

Ultralights
15th Jul 2005, 08:48
i want my 2 minutes back!

The Voice
15th Jul 2005, 11:35
My question to sputnik_1 is,

how come you were shown the notes in the first place?

Are you doing your ATPL and looking for assistance notes wise, or, is your freind (your spelling) trying to wind you up because of your religion?

If those 'quotes' get your dander up, I'd hate to see you under real pressure.

DirectAnywhere
15th Jul 2005, 11:39
Methinks "The Soviet Satellite" might be a windup merchant.

To quote Sykes from another thread:
Great... Welcome to PPRuNe, Sputnik_1.

In your first four posts you've:

1. Slagged off someones ATPL notes because of religious quotes;
2. Slagged off the current TVSA owners;
3. Abused Chadzat who complained about your comments on the TVSA owners;
4. THEN, you ASKED FOR HELP, as you're a pre-GFPT student!!

cobber74
15th Jul 2005, 14:01
the funny thing is sputnik 1 isnt new to pprune....whats wit ppl always thinking these are wind ups...? god, this is a rumour network and ppl also say the truth on these posts.....

DirectAnywhere
15th Jul 2005, 21:40
Fine, if it's not a windup then the individual in question has a very different slant on the aviation world and his place in it as a pre-GFPT pilot than most of us did.:rolleyes:

PropDuster
16th Jul 2005, 05:30
sputnik_1

Doesn't Hinduism teach tolerance and respect for others despite their beliefs. I hope you are a better pilot than you are a Hindu!!

Having done ATPL subjects with this particular theory provider I can assure you that his course content is nothing short of excellent (even if I did find the biblical quotes a bit over the top myself, each to their own)

This is the only ground school in the country that can claim a better than 90% first time pass rate in ATPL Flight Planning.
(Based on attending fulltime classes at YSBK)

Not bad for someone who's notes are "crap anyway"

If you ever become a "practising pilot" maybe then you'll have something worthwhile to contribute to this forum. In the mean time put your big red nose and floppy shoes back on

:ok:

TeleMaPhone
16th Jul 2005, 12:02
A number of posters are hoping to head toward a career as a commercial pilot - many of these commercial flights include international flights...
One would think that an airline is more likely to hire someone that is considerate to other cultures and their religions - why would an airline want to send you to a country where you just slag their values and beliefs, reflecting poorly on that airline...

TMP

Ultralights
16th Jul 2005, 13:25
Doesn't Hinduism teach tolerance and respect for others despite their beliefs.
you will find all religions teach this, even Islam!

pretty average windup though, try a topic on dick or qantas to really get them to bite!

Flintstone
17th Jul 2005, 11:23
you will find all religions teach this, even Islam!

Why "even" Islam?

scrubed
17th Jul 2005, 11:40
Because it is stone-age. Obviously.... :rolleyes:

Flintstone
17th Jul 2005, 23:30
More like the steroetyping fairy is at work.

Critical Reynolds No
18th Jul 2005, 03:22
Here he is:

http://www.vpmag.com/yssy/profile.php?ode=viewprofile&u=3506

Killer Loop
18th Jul 2005, 03:33
I had systems and flight planning left to do and went to this guy. Passed them both first time on his course and since me is no jenious just bashing around the PNG bush in a piston then me thinks they must be good notes regardless of what quotes are at the top!

DeltaSix
18th Jul 2005, 08:41
Sputnik 1 - GET A LIFE.

If you are offended by it, how do you think we feel once we see of some of these hindu sayings. In this country, we have freedom of religion and freedom of speech. If you don't like it then tough. Go somewhere where they preach hinduism and maybe you'll see it on top of their ATPL notes instead. I betcha if you saw something about hinduism on those notes maybe you'd think otherwise.
By the way, have you heard of copyright restrictions ? Worth it or not, you are not suppose to photocopy these notes as they are owned by that provider.

drshmoo
18th Jul 2005, 09:08
NO BALL

cobber74
18th Jul 2005, 09:37
hahahah my god , there are some very sad people on this forum .delta goodrem 6 , u make me laugh so much i had to cry..ah haha my god. SAD.

CaptainToBe
19th Jul 2005, 08:07
I passed 3 ATPL exams because of this provider (may as well come out and say it, its Gavin Secombe www.atpl.com.au). Nothing but good things to say about him. He really knows his stuff, and he can teach. If you chose not to do this persons course because he had a religious quote at the top, then its your loss, end of story.

Woomera, do us all a favour and close this thread!

sputnik_1
19th Jul 2005, 13:35
Can I do hot air balloon theory to ATPL theory? I have 4000 hours in hot air balloons

VRB03KT CAVOK
19th Jul 2005, 23:05
Wind-ups are wind-ups but why try and bring down the good name of a knowledgable and helpful theory teacher?

Sputnik 1: Get a life and stop clogging the forum with useless sh1t!

cobber74
21st Jul 2005, 12:32
hahahaha sputnik u are a classic...4000hrs in hot air ballons. thats excellent.. wish i had flown hot air ballons...

CaptainToBe
21st Jul 2005, 22:30
cobber74 = sputnik1

???

vhxxxx
26th Jul 2005, 07:25
This may sound a bit stupid but I am a CP student. Where can I get, buy, loan CP theory notes or practice cyber exams with or without religion conatations.?

Chadzat
27th Jul 2005, 01:55
I wonder if after this scandal whether religious texts will suddenly spawn random ATPL notes in retaliation?