PDA

View Full Version : Help! Decent Flying School Required

sputnik_1
14th Jul 2005, 14:57
Guys I need your help,
Im pre GFPT, and I have a list of schools NOT to go to, but which schools are the better ones? Im willing to travel

I had an instructor that made me do the entire landing and subsequent touch n go on the nose wheel!?!?!
I thought nose wheels werent supposed to take the pounding of landings. I heard tristar at Moorabbin were pretty good.

LUVJET
14th Jul 2005, 16:19
Try pearsons or NAT at essendon. Pearsons ok for trainining been around a long time. NAT are the predominant school on the airport and have great staff. CFI EJ is wealth of knowledge and highly experienced not to mention well respected.

Good thing is NAT also have charter arm DAC. As they like to hire within and have bases in MELB , Alice & DWN your chances of progressing after obtaining your wings are very good.

At essendon would not worry about any other of the three schools , all not worth the effort as they have very little to offer (professionally speaking after you training.)

You can obtain a CPL through hard work at any school , but then what.

Moorrabbin , tristar seems ok , PB for some advanced training later , and would nt worry about anyone else as they are either not worried about local business (students) or dont want to be around for too much longer. None of these offer to much AFTER your training and this the key.

At least if you spend your hard earned, then a progression path would be good. Of course you need to work hard and standout but that shouldnt be a prob with most.

hope this helps.....

DirectAnywhere
14th Jul 2005, 23:01
Just make sure they're not religious...oh, and be willing to pay them for their time.:rolleyes:
ATPL Notes vs. Religion (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182112)

battlingaway
14th Jul 2005, 23:10
It depends where you live, how far you want to travel and more importantly, what you want to achieve.

Presuming you want a career in aviation, you cannot go past NAT at Essendon. I passed through three schools at YMEN and several at YMMB and believe them to be the best, not perfect, but the best.

EJ (CFI), is a true gentleman and very experienced and they have so many avenues for students to gain valuable experience that can help make their graduates more employable (EG DASAR, ICUS in Alice & Darwin).

To add to this they run Directair out of YMEN which is without doubt one of the most professional charter outfits around and allows graduates another opportunity to gain experience.

Yes, they have their downsides too (including cost), but as a past student and instructor, I believe they are truly one of the best schools for commercial students.

Yes, I know this sound like a paid advertisement and to the cynics amongst you, no, I am not an employee.

If however, your interest is in being a PPL, then I suggest you look elsewhere, maybe RVAC who I have also flown with and found quite good.

If you really want to travel and want an excellent school and enjoy a social side to flying, try Tyabb.

Wombat35
14th Jul 2005, 23:58
Hey Sput,

Your reap the seeds that you sow!

Apparently the notes are crap anyway, so I guess if this provider put as much effort into his ATPL content, as he does into his preaching, the notes , might be worthy of being photocopied

With this attitude ... I wouldn’t wish you upon any decent training organisation sounds like your getting what you deserve.

Knowing the person that you slandered with your above quote, you could not be further from the truth. Glad that you did not photocopy the notes as it would have only wasted your time, you would never be able to pass the exam.

Now bu*gger off.

ibaker
15th Jul 2005, 00:11
If you can travel and have time you just can't go wrong with The Goulburn Valley Aero Club at Shepparton. There is a caravan park right opposite the strip where students that come from all over the state, even after trying "other" schools, always stay whilst doing their training at lower costs and in a friendly "club" atmosphere. They have ultralights as well as a 172 and an Archer. They have 15 year old female students right up to 78 year olds, and the club members are full of encouragement while providing many stories that will keep you spell bound. Plus after your training it is always great to have a spot where you can feel welcome if you can't get back into Melbourne during a flight because of weather in the gap. This is what I have personally found and I too live in Melbourne.

battlingaway
15th Jul 2005, 00:23
Don't know much about the aeroclub but the aviators in Shepp are great. I did my tailwheel endorsement at Gawne in Shepparton, good strip, beautiful countryside and also a good school, for both CPL and PPL..

aviate
15th Jul 2005, 13:06
only one I would go with is general flying school "gfs" at moorabin

Lee Frost
16th Jul 2005, 06:48
Ross Carrington's General Flying Services are well regarded.

http://www.generalflyingservices.com.au/

cobber74
16th Jul 2005, 11:33
TVSA ??? its a real good school ...

Speedlever
16th Jul 2005, 11:38
Sharp Aviation in Hamilton Victoria, you'll find instruction that you want, tailered to you. Give Mal a call, you will be surprised.

Good luck

Left Wing
18th Jul 2005, 10:53
Western Australian Aviation College, based at Jandakot Airport . What about these guys, any good ? Perticular for intl' students.

Taggert
19th Jul 2005, 04:47
Hi,

My advice is give Johnston Aviation a call in Port Macquarie. Well regarded, good training environment,good instructors, realistic price. If you are looking to progress right through, you probably can't go past them for an Instrument Rating on the Baron at normal Seminole/Duchess Prices.

GFS you'll find are quite pricey, and probably more focussed towards there Cadet Programs, etc.

Taggert

Fiesty Ferret
20th Jul 2005, 10:09
Perhaps you can try Moorabbin Aviation Services. They have a good range of instructors. One in particular Darren Williams who teaches there is good.
You could also try TVSA. There standard is pretty high as well.
I would avoid Vic Aero Club especially for CPL training.

FF